Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,969   Posts: 1,558,546   Online: 1055

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

moving towards Leica MP

Hi,
    after many years I'm entertaining the project to sell all my Nikon system (F6, F100, wonderful lens) and move to absolute essentiality. My interest is for Leica MP. I'd appreciate very very much if anyone generous using Leica MP, could describe reasons, feeling, utility, results, love......anything but technical subject.
    Thanks so much,
    Joseph

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Joseph,

did you ever had any M Leica? Maybe for start you buy some cheaper M body like for example classic M6 - and see is this for you?

On the other side: I have M6 and M3, and reason why I have got myself a Leica is because I can afford it, I wanted to get best 35mm tool for street, and because life is too short for compromises .

First I got M6, but since I use 50mm most of the time - M3 was next logical choice because it has more accurate frames lines and bigger viewfinder.
    I like M3 more than M6.

regards,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Would agree with mambe starting with an M3.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks,

about shortness of life I'm absolutely with you Darko, without any "but" without any "if". This acts as a mainspring in my life.
    I never used a Leica M and time is arrived.
    What about MP? Why didn't you consider it?
    Joseph

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used an M6 as my main camera for years. I like it a lot and have no complaints. Once or twice I have tried a friend's MP and it is a wonderful feeling camera. Shutter noise is much quieter than the already quiet M6, film advance is beautifully smooth and the viewfinder is also superior. It won't take better photos than an M6 and will probably cost double, but I can understand why someone would want one.

Shooter
    35mm
    I was using M2 then M6 and CLE and recently bought a MP
    Buttery smooth and a gem of a camera

Shooter
    35mm
    I was using M2 then M6 and CLE and recently bought a MP
    Buttery smooth and a gem of a camera

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pluto View Post
    Thanks,

What about MP? Why didn't you consider it?
    Joseph
    It was just too expensive and not so different than M6. But if I would have unlimited budget I would consider MP with 0.85 finder - it is closest thing to M3 and it can be bought new.

Shooter
    35mm
    Pluto, the attraction you have for this utter simplicity is your way of making the camera be but an extension of your eye, nothing more. There is a comfort level here that cannot be denied. But plain facts, also, cannot be denied. The days (daze?) of Leica being the best recorder have long passed. You just might be in love with superior build and the alluring thought of holding such supreme mechanics in your hands.

The truth be told: a K1000 or an SRT will deliver equal results for less than 1% of the price. Many have a need to justify the USD 10000 expense (5000 body and 5000 normal lens) in lofty, 'aesthetic' 'bokehtic' terms...but the naked, hard truth does not necessarily conform to mere truisms (socially 'accepted' truths). And for close ups there is a decided disadvantage with not using SLRs.

I would simply love to own an MP, which I consider to be the zenith of mechanical build. But sex appeal holds caveats as well: dropping the camera, hitting the lens, losing the whole thing. Remember, distant planet Pluto, I think that the handsome Leica passport is no longer offered, or, maybe is has simply been diluted in scope. I would look into that factor carefully. $10,000 is a lot of money to go on a joy ride with or, for your more immediate situation in Italy, 7000 Euros. - David Lyga
    Last edited by David Lyga; 05-31-2012 at 08:40 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    The truth be told: a K1000 or an SRT will deliver equal results for less than 1% of the price.
    I think this guy hit the nail on the head in regard to Leica's and their corresponding glass.

http://www.apug.org/forums/viewpost.php?p=1346141
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin