Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,694   Posts: 1,482,483   Online: 964

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    i went for no. 3 when faced with these choices myself i did last a couple of years but eventually the TV tube aesthetic lost. from the gold-sprayed condenser heaven i fell onto the canadian clunker... and my pictures did not suffer one whit

incidentally, i looked into the M3 at a camera show this morning--i laughed, no, no going back, death to TV tube!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just IMO, I like the rangefinder as to me it is faster to focus, and my M2 has DOF built into the RF patch. There is no lag on the shutter, no flipping mirrors or loud noises and it fits rather flat in my coat pocket, though you do need ballast on the other side. 35 and 50mm are 99% of what I want.
    There is a difference between a shaky or out-of-focus photograph and a snapshot of clouds and fog banks. —Erwin Schrödinger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilk View Post
    i went for no. 3 when faced with these choices myself i did last a couple of years but eventually the TV tube aesthetic lost. from the gold-sprayed condenser heaven i fell onto the canadian clunker... and my pictures did not suffer one whit

incidentally, i looked into the M3 at a camera show this morning--i laughed, no, no going back, death to TV tube!
    The M3 eyepiece rounded corners are reverence to the Ur Leica and visual culture of those days.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	739px-Ur_Leica.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	58461
    The front is rectangular but eyepiece is circular and kinda crops the corners when You look thru, its a feature that many other legendary cameras have.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Aren't the framelines actually cut-out portions in a metal plate in the RF/VF mechanism? Seems like someone handy with photofabrication could create a new plate and have it installed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rice View Post
    Aren't the framelines actually cut-out portions in a metal plate in the RF/VF mechanism? Seems like someone handy with photofabrication could create a new plate and have it installed.
    Leica M3 bright frame lines are much more sophisticated than just cut-out portions in a metal plate found in the Barnack Leicas.
    In M3 the 50mm frame line (the one with the rounded corners) remains visible all the time. 90mm or 135mm frame lines are projected inside the 50mm depending on the lens You are using. The parallax error is automatically compensated over the whole focusing range.
    The corners of the 90mm, 135mm frames (and RF patch) are not rounded, in fact they are razor sharp and that pisses some folks..
    In M2 and recent M's, the 50mm frame line corners are not rounded, they are simply not present..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tested a 21mm lense in Tokyo and of course they gave me the view finder as well. It also has those curved corners which really put me off. They are very contrived and distracting. It doesn't inspire much when you look at them, for me it sends a message that 'this view you're looking at is an approximation' which flies in the face of the precision of German Engineering™.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you want to shoot with any RF, then you have to accept the framing compromise. Much same with any gear or system; there are always compromises. OP, in your case it sounds as if you wish to use a M but want to be able to have square frame lines for both the 35/50 FLs and the build quality of the M3. If so, then I recommend either the M2 or M4. I use both models a lot and can recommend either very highly provided you accept the RF compromise.
    "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within." W. Durant

flickr

Even worse than the rounded corners is the fact they are set for a subject X feet away, around 3 or 6, and for further distances you have to use the outer borders and for even further distance additional distances need to be added. It is simply not a camera for really precise framing. For that you want a reflex camera with 100% viewfinder coverage, Nikon F or F2 or D3 or D4 or Hasselblad or 4x5. RF is made for quick shooting reporters who fix mistakes later in the darkroom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The best Leica accessory is a Nikon...
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    The best Leica accessory is a Nikon...

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin