Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,753   Posts: 1,483,893   Online: 1236

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmmm. Veneered cameras. Pretty, but my Deardorff is solid mahogany, of a grade no longer available....anywhere, at any price.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My 35mm cameras take a certain amount of abuse - not to mention wet, muddy and greasy environments. All that wipes off a Nikon with a paper towel and some Windex.

I'm not at all sure how a veneered camera is going to look after a bit of use. Or the effect of a Windex wipe-down.

But I guess the people who would buy these [and assuming the whole thing isn't some joke] wouldn't really use them for taking pictures.

The cameras don't look like bling. If I had seen one I would assume a nice afternoon's DIY.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You're all just pissed they thought of it first.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm pissed that I thought of it first but didn't do it!

Though I never would have thought of charging that kind of money..
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    C'mon guys, be fair, they come in a bespoke hand made box, not any old ordinary hand made box! And Canonets and Konica S2's are rare. At least according to their condition statement.

It would be funny to actually encounter one in the wild, though.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    I'm pissed that I thought of it first but didn't do it!

Though I never would have thought of charging that kind of money..
    I'd been thinking about this idea too, damn them.

I think they look great and if they revitalise a camera and it goes to a good home, rather than locked up in some cupboard in bits, then that's ok, isn't it? If the business model works, hats off to them. I'd be pretty stoked if someone bought me one of these as a present.

I certainly woodn't (did you see what I did there?) buy one myself though. The mark-up is ridiculous, but it's no different to me buying a VW Beetle, de-chroming it, tinting the windows, adding a nice pastel two-pack paint job and some tear-drop rear lights, and selling it for more that it's worth. Up until the 80s you could pick up a Beetle for next to nothing, until enthusiasts started pimping them up.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by demonboy View Post
    I'd be pretty stoked if someone bought me one of these as a present.
    I would have to slap them silly.

Just for laughs, I googled the company, and it seems they've been getting a lot of notices in the non-photo blogosphere. People are just agog over these things!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I had to register just to add my two cents... I actually did an Argus C3 in wood covering some years back. Wish I'd known it was worth nearly two grand...I would have started making them like crazy! Though perhaps it is not too late... Here's the one I did: http://www.megley.com/argus/wood.html Wesley (ps - sorry - not sure why my line breaks are disappearing and making my message one ugly blob of text...I tried to make it look nice!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For a real challenge; when I have a few days with nothing to do, I think I will try to veneer my F4. I think making the grain match each segment will be the real B*****d. Just trying to decide which wood to choose. No! I will not provide updates on progress.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    you guys are being kinda harsh -- a full cla on any camera costs about $125-$175 or so and their site seems to claim a more extensive job than that -- plus hand-fitting a veneer covering, plus the snob mark up -- what the heck, if they can make money at it, let them, it's supporting film use.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin