Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,551   Online: 1169

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wesleyfurr View Post
    I had to register just to add my two cents... I actually did an Argus C3 in wood covering some years back. Wish I'd known it was worth nearly two grand...I would have started making them like crazy! Though perhaps it is not too late... Here's the one I did: http://www.megley.com/argus/wood.html Wesley (ps - sorry - not sure why my line breaks are disappearing and making my message one ugly blob of text...I tried to make it look nice!)
    Haha dragging out the lurkers

You beat them to the punch! Now to sue em for everything they got! Jk! Also how did it hold up over time? I expected a veneer finish to have been quite slippery, but since its an argus brick I dont think any amount of griptac would have made it more manageable.

Shooter
    Large Format
    It's definatly something for DIY and not to buy, unless you've got the money and haven't got the skills to DIY. The product is kind of like custom bicycles, motorbikes, cars. Downside of this kind of industry is that it is extremely personal. People who wants camera's like this, want something exclusive and creative. The only way to make shure it is exclusive, is by making it yourself. Or pay $$$ to fit your needs.
    As for my own DIY project, the Revueflex AC2 (aka Chinon CE4) has a bit of a challenge. The sides wrap around the camera, so I have to ply the wood into shape.
    A practical question for who knows the answer: Does a coloured camera have any influence with marco photography? I think it might bounce off some coloured light on the subject.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    Haha dragging out the lurkers

You beat them to the punch! Now to sue em for everything they got! Jk! Also how did it hold up over time? I expected a veneer finish to have been quite slippery, but since its an argus brick I dont think any amount of griptac would have made it more manageable.
    LOL...actually not even a lurker...a member of the Argus Collector's Group that knew of my camera alerted me to this thread...so I signed up just to post.

I doesn't get used heavily, about two rolls of film per year, so I can't say but so much about how well it holds up, but so far just fine, and I think it's been like 7 years. The other thing that helps is I keep mine in a nice leather case such as were designed specifically to hold C3's. The other thing it has going for it is the finish...dad works in a custom cabinet shop. He used the same catalyzed varnish on it that they use on their cabinets. He has told stories about being able to actually wipe it down with lacquer thinner and not begin to budge the finish. So...if lacquer thinner can't bother it, I'm not worried about my hands messing it up. :-) As for grip, it holds just as good as an original leatherette covered one...

Wesley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's not really a new idea, except for the ridiculous price. There was a guy who covered a Mk.II Jaguar with rosewood veneer back in the late 60s.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    you guys are being kinda harsh -- a full cla on any camera costs about $125-$175 or so and their site seems to claim a more extensive job than that -- plus hand-fitting a veneer covering, plus the snob mark up -- what the heck, if they can make money at it, let them, it's supporting film use.
    It's true--they also claim to clean the lenses, which most techs would charge extra for. And a few square inches of veneer must cost them at least $10 or so. So it can't really be more than 60 or 70 percent snob markup. As snob markups go, that's not too bad.

But even if I was going to pay snob markup for a vintage rangefinder, it wouldn't be for an Argus (I am biased against them; I had one as a kid and it was horrible to use).

I don't really see this as supporting much film use. How many cameras can they sell this way? Not very many, I'd guess.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Moopheus View Post
    It's true--they also claim to clean the lenses, which most techs would charge extra for. And a few square inches of veneer must cost them at least $10 or so. So it can't really be more than 60 or 70 percent snob markup. As snob markups go, that's not too bad.

But even if I was going to pay snob markup for a vintage rangefinder, it wouldn't be for an Argus (I am biased against them; I had one as a kid and it was horrible to use).

I don't really see this as supporting much film use. How many cameras can they sell this way? Not very many, I'd guess.
    A full CLA includes cleaning the lens - otherwise it isn't a full CLA.
    An Argus brick is worth maybe $50 for a clean one with case. Say (to be safe) the CLA brings that to $200. They sell it - without even retouching the paint on the shutter release - for $1850. Thats a 925% markup, not 60-70%

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Charlatans with single word.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Does anybody convert antique film cameras to digital? Now there's an idea.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I noticed that the site has an extensive glossary, defining terms which anyone who's done photography for any length of time already knows. This suggests to me that they're aiming at people with more money than brains. Hmmm, not a bad business plan! To clean up an Argus C-3, readily available for what - $30 or less? - and offer it as a woodie for $1,875.00...I wish I'd thought of it first!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Does anybody convert antique film cameras to digital? Now there's an idea.
    Not unless they like hospital food
    Ben

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin