Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,043   Online: 970

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Darn, the stain has hardened the veneer. I've got to steam the veneer untill it gets soft enough to bend. Then I'm going to let the wood dry in the right shape. After that, gluing. If that works...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The store front is likely located in a very boutique location with a lot of tourists.

There target customer is obviously someone with no experience in photography.

Sad...

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't want to be the devil's advocate, but someone is making a profit in re-using/abusing vintage camera's, in a financianally bad time. Aparantly there are enough buyers who like to pay big bucks for such an item. You can't make him stop doing this. The only thing you can do to get in his way is by making a better product that sells better than his.
    No matter how you cut it, tourist trap items are everywhere (even on the internet). From crappy toys to cheap knock-off's. The camera would probably be used as a paperweight or a dust gatherer, but if there's a market for it, why not use it? I bet some of us have a surplus of broken camera's and lenses. Why not use them to create an object of "art"?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Such is the world, there is always someone willing to make a cheap buck at the expense of others' foolishness. Then again money comes easy to certain people, and they have much more to play with, and may care little about price.

How did the steaming go? Maybe staining would have been better after it was adhered to the camera and slowly buffed in with a small rag, though I would imagine getting into the smaller corners would be much harder this way. Also I posted a link to some sources of very flexible real wood veneer a little while back. That could be a fall back option.

Also I had an idea for your filter setup though may not apply, some o-rings/rubber spacers would work well between the plates to stabilize the whole setup as I only see nuts at the ends. They sell them in assorted sizes all in a box. (also great for other things such a replacing enlarger base feet)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Newt_on_Swings, I haven't tried the steaming yet. If it doesn't work, I'm going to have to do it all over again, first glueing than staining, as you suggested. The veneer I used is actually a single sheet from a 3mm plywood sheet. Problem is, the sheet is to thick to be bent into shape, unless it's soaked. I can't glue before the wood is dry. If I have to do it over, it's going to be: cut in shape, soak wood, bending into shape, drying, glueing and finally staining. I have the option of leaving the wood just stained or covering the wood with a coat of clear laquer.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The back is done. A few details to work on, but overall a decent job if I may say so myself.

This is the bare front:

and the front glued and held into place with rubber bands and pencils:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Love your clamping job! Looks like some of the jerry-rigs I've done. If it does the job, who cares how it looks, right?

Shooter
    Large Format
    I better take them off before our daughter sees it in the morning.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven L View Post

and the front glued and held into place with rubber bands and pencils:
    You sir, have created Art and should sell it just the way it is, pencils, rubber bands, Legos and all, to an art collector for ohhh, say $85,000.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just got in from the auction site an Argus 21 that really needs a re-covering. The existing leatherette is peeling badly, but in unbroken pieces, so cutting templates shouldn't be too difficult. I just might redo it in veneer just for the heck of it.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin