Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,062   Online: 882

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

One of the most ridiculous camera markups ever

So I was browsing random articles on the pulse application and I saw this:

http://www.ilottvintage.com/

At first I thought it was a just a cheapo Hipster mod, turns out it's the most ridiculous markup of a camera short of the leica Hermes Co branding.

Their model revolves doing a simple cla on used rangefinders such as canonetes, himatics and the like, wrapping them in wood veneer and marking them up $1000-2000 usd . What a joke, but it seems some fools have taken the bait as some are marked oos.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ...considering 2/5 of the cameras have sold out, it seems to be working.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I doubt the company who are obviously selling them think it's "ridiculous", business is about buying cheap and selling for the maximum profit, it's what made America great.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess their spiel is convincing enough for some. I didn't know if I should laugh about their mumbo jumbo, cry since they probably recouped all their costs on 1st sale, or get mad that people are dumb enough to buy into things like this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    I guess their spiel is convincing enough for some. I didn't know if I should laugh about their mumbo jumbo, cry since they probably recouped all their costs on 1st sale, or get mad that people are dumb enough to buy into things like this.
    "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American the public" H.L Mencken.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 06-05-2012 at 06:34 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Mahagony have 48 varieties and this is the cheapest one and the American Boat Makers love it as Harvard Library uses at walls. I prefer more exotic woods like Cocobolo or Brazilian Rosewood. Its easy to find them as veneer and apply with oil finish.

Shooter
    35mm
    Does it worth to invest into a normal working Canon QL19 rangefinder? just to stick with the topic.....one from ebay for 50-90$ if there are some nice cosmetic condition ones..

Viktor

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Meh - I think they kinda look cool. Would I buy one? No, but why stop others...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And I'm an Argus C-3 fan, but >$1800 for one of the most plentiful and ubiquitous rangefinders ever? Heck, I wouldn't even pay $80 for one, even though the veneer covering is indeed handsome.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wonder what they use for glue to stick the wood veneer to metal parts?? I reckon this is in the realm of DIY for someone that knows how to make a template that will fit first, then cut out a copy of that on veneer. Then its just a simple soak of the veneer until its flexible, apply glue, and tape it into position and wait until dry. Carefully smooth, then apply finish.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin