Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,549,214   Online: 1181

Shooter
    35mm

Ricoh 500GX: How easy to repair glass?

I've just got myself what I think is a bargain off ebay. It's a Ricoh 500GX AND a Ricoh 500G (I paid far less than two others I was watching recently, and this is the original owner, comes with original receipt and is in mint condition) but there is one snag: the 500GX has a crack in the glass on the front of the top-plate. The seller, therefore, has thrown in a 500G that has a dismantled shutter but a decent front glass plate which could be used to replace the glass on the GX. Pic of camera, below, showing crack.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ricoh500gx.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	52101

Having never repaired a camera, would replacing the glass be a simple operation, or can I expect springs to fly out in every direction when taking it apart?
    Last edited by demonboy; 06-05-2012 at 02:38 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: I forgot a comma and I hate it when I do that

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have opened and repaired many cameras. If it is in mint condition and functions fine except the cosmetic crack, I'd just use it as is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But to answer the question.
    No springs should be popping off. The glass is either glued in or held by a bent tab or two.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi

If it still works use it as it is, dont monkey around.

If you are practical, and take your auto apart, it is easy.

Lots of people give me zip lock bags full of camera parts, normally a few bits are missing.

Noel
    P.S. the best tool is a graphite pencil eraser, you may need to grind down needle nosed pliers, if there are special nuts to undo, dont use normal pliers, without protecting the jaws with bits of old rubber gloves...

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I'll leave it for the time being. I may even sell it on as is with the other camera once I've had my fun with it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin