Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,687   Posts: 1,548,627   Online: 1185

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Moxom View Post
    I'll second a Canonet QL17 III superb cameras.
    It looks like this camera doesn't have a DOF scale on the lens. That would make zone focusing difficult.
    --
    Kenton Brede
    http://kentonbrede.com/

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    How about the Olympus XA? KEH sells them (I think only on their eBay store) for $100'ish. It is only AP but the lens is 35?

There are not many 35mm or wider lens RF's out there at your price point.
    Last edited by zsas; 06-06-2012 at 01:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Andy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kbrede View Post
    It looks like this camera doesn't have a DOF scale on the lens. That would make zone focusing difficult.
    True, it's not a stiff "stay where you put it" kind of focus.

I find the single bar short-throw focus lever becomes intuitive, I was able to focus as fast as I could bring the camera up to my eye. (Maybe a little hyperbole, but it's fastest of rangefinders I've used).

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Buy a Leica copy from APUG and a Soviet lens. It will cost around 200 but what a camera ! I used original Barnacks and the good Soviet ones mechanism and winding knobs , focus works velvetly smooth.
    Buy a real camera not japanese tourist cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Buy a Leica copy from APUG and a Soviet lens. It will cost around 200 but what a camera ! I used original Barracks and the good Soviet ones mechanism and winding knobs , focus works velvetly smooth.
    Buy a real camera not japanese tourist cameras.
    What's a "Leica copy?" APUG sells cameras, or do you mean from the classifieds? I couldn't find anything on Barracks, is that a camera?
    Thanks,
    --
    Kenton Brede
    http://kentonbrede.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Olympus 35 SP. They're the higher-end siblings to the RD and RC. The lens is absolutely phenomenal, and they offer both spot, and centerweighted metering. The lens is a 7 element 42/1.7, and, in my opinion, blows the living hell out of those dinky little Canonets. There's also a program automation setting, and they weigh next to nothing.

As for your zone focusing concern, I just wrote "12.2ft" in sharpie on some tape and put it on the back of the camera. That's hyperfocal at 16, and nets you a very usable range of distances. And there is a distance scale on the lens, too.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format

NO QUESTION, for that price an Olympus XA !

NO QUESTION, for that price an Olympus XA, ( ONLY an XA ! ).

Very sharp 35 mm f 2.8 lens, aperture priority, manual adjust ISO,
    Hyperfocal focusing at f 5.6 & 8 ft, leaf shutter, so flash at any shutter speed,
    POCKETABLE, ( without flash ), get the A-16 2 AA battery flash. What's not to like.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another Glll suggestion from the middle of the country.
    The XA doesn't have a very impressive rangefinder compared to the Larger cameras. It is also completely battery dependent.

Barnack was the designer of the original Leica. Very compact bodies and thread mount lenses. 1st model wasn't interchangeable
    Leica copies can be Russian(FED), Japanese(Tower,Canon,Nicca+more) Russian lenses can be hit or miss
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by kbrede View Post
    What's a "Leica copy?" APUG sells cameras, or do you mean from the classifieds? I couldn't find anything on Barracks, is that a camera?
    Thanks,
    He means a Zorki or a FED.and yes he means the classifieds - APUG does not sell.
    These cameras can be a great choice if you research AND download a manual.However, the XA[and other japanese tourist cameras] have more `point and shootability'or are a bit more user friendly to start with.
    The FED 2 is an excellent choice as is the zorki 4/4k,though the Zorki 6 is perhaps the lessor known but better camera.Lens are very good- jupiter 12 35mm/jupiter 8 50mm/industar 61 LD.
    As with any old camera there are pros and cons with state of operation.You could be lucky as i was and get all perfectly working examples or you could be unlucky and get a paperweight.So anything you buy should have a CLA.Even this is no guarantee.

Shooter
    Multi Format

In My Opinion, the Olympus XA also fits the O.P.'s description perfectly !

Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    Another Glll suggestion from the middle of the country.
    The XA doesn't have a very impressive rangefinder compared to the Larger cameras. It is also completely battery dependent.
    Quote Originally Posted by O.P.;
    I'm interested in trying a rangefinder. I've never used one but I'm attracted to the quiet
    leaf shutter for street shooting.
    The Olympus XA fits this description perfectly ! It has the quiet leaf shutter that the O.P. asked for.

It also uses the auto exposure mode ( sets shutter speed ) when I do this.
    The Olympus XA also fits this description perfectly uses the auto exposure mode
    ( sets shutter speed ).

And I dial in the focus distance on the lens.
    Besides having a good rangefinder focusing system, it also has an easy to operate
    hyperfocal focusing system. This acts as a form of A.F.

It could be a fixed lens. I do want quality IQ. My price range somewhere around $200.00 for a
    fully CLAed one lens kit. Less of course is always better.
    Again, the Olympus XA also fits this description perfectly !

Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    Barnack was the designer of the original Leica. Very compact bodies
    and thread mount lenses. 1st model wasn't interchangeable Leica copies can be Russian(FED), Japanese(Tower,Canon,Nicca+more) Russian lenses can be hit or miss
    Finally, in my opinion, this does not fit the requirements that the O.P. laid down as I've attempted
    to point out. If he wants an interchangeable LTM camera, he should just buy a Voigtlander Bessa R, or T.

But this would be out of the O.P.'s price range.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin