Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,732   Posts: 1,515,260   Online: 757

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Need advice on choosing a rangefinder.

I'm interested in trying a rangefinder. I've never used one but I'm attracted to the quiet leaf shutter for street shooting. I don't live in a huge city, and shoot in an area that's maybe 5 square blocks, so I usually shoot from the hip and use a 28mm on my Pentax ME Super. I use the auto exposure mode (sets shutter speed) when I do this and dial in the focus distance on the lens.

I'm going on vacation soon and I don't have tons of time to research. I thought maybe someone here might have a suggestion or two. It could be a fixed lens. I do want quality IQ. My price range somewhere around $200.00 for a fully CLAed one lens kit. Less of course is always better.

Thanks,
    --
    Kenton Brede
    http://kentonbrede.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Canon QL 17. Great lens; so quiet you'll sometimes wonder if it's working.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll second a Canonet QL17 III superb cameras.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, the canonet is amazing, get the latest version.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Are you ok going towards a more less wide lens? Generally most fixed lens RFs have between 35-50mm lenses, is that OK? Finding a fixed 28mm might be tough, you ok w that?
    Andy

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You need one of these Canonets. Apparently they are totes awesome and what all the cool kids are carrying.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    See if you can borrow a RF from a friend and try it out. RF's and SLR's are different. For example, when using an SLR you must antiicipate your shots whereas with a RF this is not necessary. Another consideration is that the selection of focal lengths available is much smaller for RF's. I like both but when switching you must reaclimate your eye.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    But more seriously, look also at Konicas--they made a series of well-built fixed-lens rangefinders with excellent lenses that can be had fairly cheaply these days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    Are you ok going towards a more less wide lens? Generally most fixed lens RFs have between 35-50mm lenses, is that OK? Finding a fixed 28mm might be tough, you ok w that?
    Since I mostly shoot from the hip, and zone focus, the 28mm gives me a nice fudge factor. The closer to 28mm, the better but 35mm would probably work. I'm sure I could get use to 50mm, but I don't have a lot of time to practice before my trip. I also didn't mean to imply fixed lens. I'm open to about anything. I do know that some of the 28mm lenses get pretty bulky and heavy, which isn't ideal, but there's always compromises.
    Thanks,
    --
    Kenton Brede
    http://kentonbrede.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Between Canon, Konica, Yashica and Olympus there are definite ergonomic differences; handle a few of them and see what you like. Canon QL 19's are quite a bit less costly than 17's, and almost as good. Also check out the Olympus 35RD and RC series. Even though most you find cheap will need CLA to fix the sticky leaf shutters, they are wonderful picture takers and very quiet. The RD has a 40/1.7 lens that is sharp and fast. There are some nice Petri rangefinders available too, but they were built to a price and may not be worth fixing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin