Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,447   Online: 916

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've done lots of hiking, also in the worst of conditions, carrying a variety of battery dependent cameras (and/or light meters). Never had any problem at all with the electronics and/or batteries.

Ask yourself if you really require a fully mechanical camera, as this severely limits your options.

I myself wear glasses too. The viewfinders of the Voigtlander Bessa rangefinder series have always made me happy. Dioptres are available, standard Nikon thread, reasonable prices.

Voigtlander lenses are affordable new (the Skopar 50/2.5 is a fine lens), otherwise a used Zeiss (ZM 50/2) may just be in range.

BTW, the Bessa RxM series do actually have mechanical shutters (the light meter takes two cheap and everlasting LR/SR44's, but you're always free to use sunny 16).

Canonets are great cameras if properly CLA'd, but the viewfinders are by far not as nice as the Voigtlanders'. For me, as a glasses wearer, this is a big thing.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sandermarijn View Post
    Ask yourself if you really require a fully mechanical camera, as this severely limits your options.
    Why?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Because most cameras are not fully mechanical, i.e. most require a battery for either the shutter or the light meter, or for both.

Not sure that I understand your question correctly, cliveh.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Because most cameras are not fully mechanical, i.e. most require a battery for either the shutter or the light meter, or for both.

Not sure that I understand your question correctly, cliveh.
    Sorry, I think I am misreading your previous quote.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    Canonets are great cameras if properly CLA'd, but the viewfinders are by far not as nice as the Voigtlanders'. For me, as a glasses wearer, this is a big thing.

There is a guy around here that has a Voigtlander Prominent II, Ultron 1:2 50mm, Dynaron 1:4.5 100mm, Proximeters, 50mm Turnit, metal hood, cases, flash, and misc... for $500. From the pictures, it looks to be in exceptional condition.

My local reputable camera repair shop has a QL17 GIII that they just did a CLA on. They are backing their work if I buy the camera. They want $90. This might be the way to go for now.
    Last edited by Darren Guy; 06-07-2012 at 02:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    A Bessa-R with it's cheep easy to get batteries, a humungous array of LSM top quality lenses to suit most any budget, makes this choice an easy one. It's fine viewfinder and inexpensive cost manage to cure me of a severe case of Leica fever, so far. Simply put this camera is a fine piece of craftsmanship - a joy to use. My 2 cents worth good luck with your selection process.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bessa R or one of the Leica Screw mount competitors like a Canon P or L is a good start to a system with an endless choice of lenses.

If you want to try a good and extremely manual camera that you can actually repair while backpacking there is the Argus C-3. The viewfinder is bad, the shutter only goes to 1/300th, and not even shutter cocking is automatic, but the lens is very good and you can get one for less than $20. If you tell people you really like old cameras someone will eventually probably just give you one.

As for portability, and a good viewfinder, the Retinas are hard to beat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    $90. is about the going rate for a CLA'd Glll. It's a very nice camera to use too.
    Pretty sure I'd go that way If you for the $60 one you may find it costing more than the $90 one not too far down the road.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Darren.
    If you have a good eye for exposure/light, the Zorki 4 from 1956 (the first year it was made) and the Jupiter lens from the same year is going to be difficult to beat. This was as close as the Russians ever came to the Leica they were copying. It was so popular the following year they increased production by three or four fold and the camera was never the same again...not that it was bad, but it was more noisy and more pedestrian-feeling with each passing year. When Ed Romney was still alive, he posted a scan/crop of a picture taken with that lens of a man jogging several hundred yards away and the detail was amazing. In addition the viewfinder is large and bright and includes an adjustable diopter which is very good if you wear glasses or contacts. The Yashica Lynx 14 is good. The Lynx 14E is one to avoid in my opinion. At least I'll say the electronics were crude and they fail frequently. Canonets are good, Konica Auto S-2 is good. Another I like quite a bit is the Minolta Hi-Matic 9. Has full range of speeds, good rangefinder/viewfinder and nice lens. If you get a Canonet, make sure whoever serviced it knows how to repair the flash carbon ring. If they look confused when you ask, don't buy. The Canolite D flash is very neat, but if the flash ring hasn't been fixed it won't work correctly and some repair shops don't know how to repair it. Whatever you choose, good luck. You probably won't go too far astray.
    Jon

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Local camera store has/had an Olympus SP and Kodak Retina III c. Man what a treasure trove!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin