Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,923   Posts: 1,584,986   Online: 1108

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bear in mind the M1 does not have a rangefinder. It was meant for scientific use.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images

outside the square

I have been thinking along similar lines though at 35mm equivalent.

Why not try a cheap 35mm camera with an ok lens before spending your $$$? eg, a Yashica 230AF with the 28mm prime will run under $100 inc battery and you see if you like the auto experience as well. That will get you comfortable with the 28 (which is really a lot wider than I thought it was going to be. I can't quite get my head around it which leads me back to my 35)
    Or, perhaps a Fuji GA645WI plus $500 worth of film/chems/paper?

Maybe it doesn't really matter? Both your listed options are good after all.

MattPC

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Google FUJIFILM KLASSE W

New, and Fuji never made a bad lens...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you haven't made the purchase yet, my two cents is why not save a whole lot of cash and get the lens for the 645. That way you can play with that camera (I love the negatives a whole bunch more than any of my 35mm rangefinder or SLR stuff) for awhile and experience that system for awhile.

I understand it sounds like your having a very serious rangefinder gas attack (mine is fortunately controlled through medication for now), but I will repeat that I understand your love for the rangefinders, but I can almost guarrantee that you will start really appreciating your 645 if you use it more. That big, big negative is wonderful to work with, but I do love the pictures I can get out of my Lynx.......

Final thought, now that I have an operable rangefinder press camera......I really, REALLY want to step up to a 4x5.......perhaps you money will be better served by building it up for one of the larger format rangefinders......afterall, I think you can tell that everyone on this site has pretty much gone from 35mm whatever to a larger and larger format camera.

Good luck in your very hard decision.....been there, well about four days ago!!!

Bob E.
    Nikon F5, Nikon F4S, Nikon FA, Nikon FE, Nikon N90, Nikon N80, Nikon N75, Mamiya 645 Pro, Mamiya Press Super 23, Yashica Lynx 14e, Yashica Electro GSN, Yashica 124G, Yashica D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin