Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,896   Posts: 1,520,997   Online: 816

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Pondering New RF: Help me check my math(s)….

Here is the low down, I am pretty much a diehard RF guy. I just love them. I have three Olympus XA cameras, they have a fixed f2.8, 35mm lens. One XA always has 50 loaded in it, another 400 and the third color. My other RF is a Yashica Linx 14E has a fixed lens f1.4 with a 45mm lens that is usually my indoor low light camera that takes 400 often at 800. That thing is also a joy, works fine w/o batteries, all manual, the light meter is the only thing that the batteries control. I also have a non-RF, a Mamiya 1000s 645 with an 80mm lens (equivalent in 35mm to a standard 50mm lens).

So all my lenses are really 35-50mm, not much variety as they are all at max w/i 15mm of eachother, but all quite beautiful lenses and cameras in their own right. So I think I would like a wider lens, like 28mm or even as low as 21mm (but that might be too much). I either need to get a 45mm lens for the 645 (which is really a 28mm lens) or a new RF body/lens. Decisions, decisions, right? I can get the 45mm for the Mamiya for bargain basement pricing ($200 or less on Keh or elsewhere) or the Mamiya 35mm (which is akin to a 21mm in 35) for $300ish, or I need a whole new RF kit. I think, after doing a ton of research here, there, and everywhere, I am gravitating towards a specific RF camera/lens combo. But I don’t want to disclose my findings, I would like to see what others propose to see if we get to the same N. I do a lot of family/street photography. I have a budget of $1000US. Sorry don’t even suggest a custom MP and sparkling new 28mm Summicron; as much as I agree that would be a great kit, just not going to happen. Just doing research, seeing what my options are. Portability are key to me and why the 645 seems off the table to me. I know, some may say, step back, if you move back enough with that XA, you can get that 28mm frame. I know that. My legs can move mountains per se...Thanks in advance for any thoughts…
    Andy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    OM-1 and 24mm. Use mirror lockup and pretend it's a rangefinder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe a Voigtländer Bessa?
    If you want to use very wide lenses you can go for a Bessa L and a lens with a separate viewfinder.
    Even if you want a body with viewfinder and a lens you should be able to do that within your budget.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    $1000 in the UK might get you a battered M2 + 1 old lens, maybe an M3. Not sure about prices in the US, but could be worth a look. You don't get a meter and these are old cameras though. If the Leica script does not appeal, then a Bessa offers great value. Maybe sell some stuff and get a Zeiss Ikon?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thanks all for the comments. Down to two as my finalists, Bessa and Contax G2 with respective 28's. Might go the Contax route due to already having a fully manual RF.....
    Leica no matter what I do doesn't seems to have a body at $500ish, unless I get a M1 (there's one locally on Craig's for $400ish). Not really into zone focus though so I think the Leica line is off the table....

Still crunching the numbers...(and saving up).....
    Last edited by zsas; 06-12-2012 at 09:33 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Add something
    Andy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you can get down to an effective 21mm with whatever camera, would be my pick. I am not familiar with the Mamiya, but $300 to get 21mm on a larger neg, that sounds like a steal. I would imagine paying that much for the viewfinder.

I have a G2 with the 21mm, and it has been bolted on there since the day I bought it.

Shooter
    35mm
    I faced the same dilemma you are describing a few years back and decided, after a lot of the same research I'm sure you've gone through, to use my SLR for getting out of the fixed-lens-rangfinder box. Not just for wide-angle, but for portrait-length and telephoto options - also for having more options for ASA, shutter speeds, exposure comp and all the other goodies that a nice SLR provides.

I still love, and use frequently, my rangefinders but made the decision not to get into the GAS for M-mount and other collectible lens lines. Not enough bang-for-the buck for as infrequently as I use, say, a 21mm lens. At the price point you mention, you're only scratching the surface of what a versatile interchangeable-lens rangefinder kit is going to cost you eventually, if you're anything like me...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Of course Leica is off table , you can buy one contax and one bessa for Leica 24 mm .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A used Bessa R4A and CV 25mm might serve your needs.
    -----------------------

Segedi.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A Leica IIIf or IIc with any of the Leica, Voigtlander, Industar, Canon, etc. wide angle LTM lenses. It should be easily possible under $1000. And any lenses you get can be updated with an adapter to M mount if you get an M2 or similar later.

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin