Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,176   Online: 698

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Yashica Electro 35 GSN

Hi I'm writing from Ushuaia, Argentina. My father in law has given me an Electro35 GTS because I like photography (I'm not a photographer anyway).

I've changed the battery and it seemed to work ok (it is almost new becouse wasn't used until now), so I've shooted some films, with some good pics and a lot of wrong exposed pics... most of all becouse I shoot lots of my pictures indoor.

I think there may be something wrong in my camera so now I'm doing some tests without film... And I would like to know if some behaviors are normal or not before opening it. Probably some Yashica owners can help me here...

1. Everywhere says that setting the camera at flash position in the dial the speed is setted at 1/30 BUT when I press the shutter, the lens keep opened until I release it (exactly like bulb setting). I tried bulb setting and it works the same way, it also fires the flash!

2. With timer flash never gets fired... it doesn't matter if the camera is setted up with flash, auto or bulb. Strangely if I I keep the shutter pressed then it works but then Why would I use timer, if I need to stay next to the camera.

3. Lastly, without flash at the camera, this happends always... If the camera turns the slow light and I press the shutter: again, the lens keeps opened until I release it... this could be normal in complete darkness becouse the speed detected is too slow but this happends also indoor and with light... let's say with aperture 1.7 the light doesn't turn on so It work ok... at f.2 it keeps opened like bulb again... STRANGELY, there is one exception here... If I keep the shutter pressed and point to a light source then the lense closes, like if it is live-mettering or something like that.

I would appreciate if you could help me whith this. Thank you in advance.

Shooter
    35mm
    There are other places on the internet that describe it much better - but a lot of it sounds like it is down to "pad of death", a common problem with the series of camera you have inherited.

Welcome to APUG and happy shooting - if you are practical, you can replace the pad of death (and the light seals, since they have probably deteriorated) - I know Jon Goodman (a name that will come up time and time again) sells them and has an excellent reputation, so something to consider.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As mentioned above, it sounds like what is called "The Pad of Death". Which is overly dramatic, and can be repaired.

For the repair of this, and other Electro 35 problems, the following link is a good reference.

http://www.yashica-guy.com/document/repair.html

I have no personal association with the above site, but have found it to be a good reference. A good working Electro 35 is a very good camera.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi and thanks for the fast replys, I was thinking on that but from what I've read "Pad of Death" make a loud sound when advancing the film and mine is very quiet, or I'm wrong?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I can send you a Nikon One Touch. Private message sent.

Umut
    Istanbul

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fueguino84 View Post
    Hi and thanks for the fast replys, I was thinking on that but from what I've read "Pad of Death" make a loud sound when advancing the film and mine is very quiet, or I'm wrong?
    I think you've got it backwards.

If you get a "thunk" sound when you advance the film, it usually means that your POD is ok... If you get a faint "click" sound it means that the POD is either gone or on it's way out.

The symptoms that you describe kind of lead me to believe that you have the POD problem and it's really common, but also easy to fix if you're handy.

Look for the yashicaguy's website... it'll get you up to speed on the repair. I did mine and also replaced the light seals in one afternoon. You can use a neoprene plumbing washer to cut the new pad from and it'll probably last forever.

Ed

Shooter
    35mm
    It could be the pad of death. This pad is very old now, and it does deteriorate. In the latest version of the light seal instructions I explain a more simple way to replace the pad (you do not need to disassemble the camera if you will follow my instructions), and I provide a pad of the proper thickness and density cut to the right size for you...also the dust seal for the top cover. Good luck. When this camera is working properly it will take excellent pictures.
    Jon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Jon, are those instructions online anywhere? The KYphoto site seems to have a 2005 version (http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/seal..._Electro35.pdf) that does not include the section about the POD. I'd be keen to see your simplified process. I've seen such a process with minimal disassembly described with pictures somewhere online, but would trust your version better. Your instructions that I've used on prior light seal jobs (Canonet QL17, Mamiya C330, etc.) have been great, as of course have been your materials. I'm still working through a packet of seals that I ordered perhaps four years ago. (Need to buy more cameras...)

--Dave

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Goodman View Post
    It could be the pad of death. This pad is very old now, and it does deteriorate. In the latest version of the light seal instructions I explain a more simple way to replace the pad (you do not need to disassemble the camera if you will follow my instructions), and I provide a pad of the proper thickness and density cut to the right size for you...also the dust seal for the top cover. Good luck. When this camera is working properly it will take excellent pictures.
    Jon
    Thanks Jon, your opinion is very important for me. Are those instructions available in Internet? And what about your kits?, As far as I know you're not publishing at ebay... I would like to repair my camera soon, so I would appreciate your instructions and answer to this topic. Thank you very much!

Shooter
    35mm
    Ok, I bought Godman's kit so I'm just waiting for it to arrive and then I will post my results

Thank you all for the help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin