Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,965   Posts: 1,558,399   Online: 806

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I have an M3 but no Summicron, am I missing out?

So I have an M3 and a Nikkor 50mm f1.4 LTM. I like the combination a lot but since I've only acquired this combination this summer, but I haven't had a chance to try any other lenses....

I've often thought about getting a 50mm f2.0 Summicron because that's the more "classic" combination, but is it noticeably "better"? Or offer a more distinctive look to make it worthwhile?

I shoot at f2-f4 mostly as I feel that the DOF is just too shallow at f1.4, so I don't really need the speed per se.
    Last edited by msbarnes; 07-02-2012 at 11:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    If your M3 body makes you feel better than Nikon body , why not ? But LTM Nikkors are the exact copies of German designs and they are EXCELLENT. I dont give a dam to plastic or 70s Nikons but LTMs are super. Summicron is very expensive and it pays you back unless if you have money to pay back to bank.
    Or you will forced to sell it and be an enemy of it. This is frequently observed at this forum.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Only you can really answer that question since "missing out" and "better" is completely subjective based on what you like and what you want out of your photography. My favorite Leica lens is the 50/2 Summicron DR. I bought and used a 50/1.4 Summilux but frankly it just did not give me what I was after and the satisfaction of the images I got from it was not what I expected so I sold it. Of course that Summilux is an AWESOME lens and many people love it and I certainly liked it but it was not exactly what I wanted. I know you're asking about the Summicron but that's just an example for you. Good thing about many or most Leica lenses is you can buy, use, and then re-sell for as much if not more than you paid.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I had a similar situation....I had/have a Canon 50mm f1.4 and found a DR SUmmicron without goggles and in need of cleaning for a bargain price so I tried it. I like it a lot more to the point that I don't use the Canon anymore. The DR isn't the prettiest lens, but it takes nice, sharp images down to f2. The only bad thing about the DR is that it weighs a ton....lots of brass and glass.
    Your first 10,000 pictures are the worst - HCB

www.markjamesfisher.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you for your responses. I feel that my question is rather useless in a sense. It's easiest (but not always financially feasible) for me to just own and both lenses and sell the one that doesn't really work. (Although I feel that I wouldn't sell either!).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by msbarnes View Post
    Thank you for your responses. I feel that my question is rather useless in a sense. It's easiest (but not always financially feasible) for me to just own and both lenses and sell the one that doesn't really work. (Although I feel that I wouldn't sell either!).
    How about a Summitar? Wonderful wonderful lens.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thomas , you cant enough tell the people how old Leica lenses are better than the new ones. I tried once and it turned to an lynch action here.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Did not say better. Did not say worse. Just offering the OP an option that is far less expensive, that's all.
    I have used a Summicron, a Summarit, and a Summitar. I could live happily everafter with either lens without ever wondering what I'm missing. Seriously. If you can't make good photographs with either of those lenses, then it's not the camera that's the problem, but rather the photographer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Thomas , you cant enough tell the people how old Leica lenses are better than the new ones. I tried once and it turned to an lynch action here.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thomas the same could be said for pretty much any halfway decent lens, which includes the above mentioned Nikon.
    Mustafa imho the old lenses aren't necessaraly better but they have more presence and a more balanced look than the new übersharp Leica lenses. I love the Summar btw.

The Summitar looks a lot like an early Summicron, so Thomas' advice is a very good one.

Dominik

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin