Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,914   Posts: 1,556,277   Online: 820

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format

Leica M39 Lens Advice Needed

I now have a Leica IIIc and also a Jupiter 35mm f2.8 (modern) and Elmar 50mm f3.5 (c.1930,) and a VIOOH finder for 35/50/90/135. I'm wanting to put together a little system. Goal: lenses of 1940s vintage, all use same lens shade, filters. I will sell the Jupiter--too modern for me. I might sell the 50mm f3.5 and replace with a Leica 50mm f2 collapsible. I also want an Elmar 90mm f4. Here's where I need help. I want one lens shade to use on all three lenses. That would be the FIKUS made for 35/50/90, right? I also want to use filters yellow/orange/red on all three lenses, preferably while also using lenshood at same time. Filters don't need to be Lecia brand. I know there is an adapter for Leica E36 filters to be used on A36 lenses--would that work for me? Finally, regarding lens hood. I've read the FIKUS hood will fit the Elmars 35mm f3.5, 50mm f3.5, 90mm f4, but does it also fit the 50mm f2? What I want to end up with is my Leica IIIc, with lenses from 1940s of 35mm/50mm/90mm, a lenshood that can be used with all three lenses, and Y/O/R filters that can be used on all three lenses. Is this do-able? What do I need?

Kent in SD

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I owned IIIC with 1946 Elmar 5 and two Summitars. If your new lens will be Summitar , it has a larger front glass and larger diameter and may be it doesnt compatible with Elmar diameter. There is a Leica forum at internet and best advise would come from frequent users.

Good luck ,

Umut

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    The "modern" Jupiter 12 (35mm 2.8) is a Zeiss pre war design.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ath View Post
    The "modern" Jupiter 12 (35mm 2.8) is a Zeiss pre war design.
    I was thinking the same thing. Biogon I believe? Got one and love it.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Some people say Russian lenses are terrible and some say they're great. The reality is that both are right. The optical design is first rate (for the period) but the mounts ware often poorly designed out of substandard materials by indifferent workers. But they're cheap, so you can buy several and look for a good one. Kind of like Russian Roulette.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Russian lenses actually have a different pitch thread from the Leica lenses. Sometimes this is a problem as they don't screw down all the way without bunging up the threads. I have a 35mm Summicron Type III and a collapasable 50mm Summicron I really like they both have 39mm filter threads. I use a screw in cheap lens hood and cheap snap on plastic caps as I am notorious for dropping those things or losing them. I don't think the FIKUS works on anything but the Elmars. You can download the old catalogs from the Butkus Camera Manual site to see what fits what.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by lacavol View Post
    The Russian lenses actually have a different pitch thread from the Leica lenses.
    Never heard this one before.. Maybe the very early lens but not the post war screw mount Jupiters..

I have several Jupiter lens and never had an issue mounting them on a Leica..

Sometimes this is a problem as they don't screw down all the way without bunging up the threads.
    Never had this proble either..
    Leicarfcam aka Colyn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Colyn, it depends on the camera and lens some have the threads worn. The Leica specs are 39mm X 26tpi (turns per inch) (.977mm) and the Russian lenses are 39mm X 1mm. Read the last paragraph here on the Survival Guide: http://jay.fedka.com/index_files/Page433.htm

I have a IIIa that doesn't take Russian lenses and a IIIc that does. Yes, they are good lenses, if you find a good one.
    Last edited by lacavol; 07-24-2012 at 02:56 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: addt'l info & correct pitch

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Someone at APUG , uses soviet lenses on his IA , especially 800 dollars worth Roosinov wideangle.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Colyn, it depends on the camera and lens some have the threads worn. The Leica specs are 39mm X 26tpi (turns per inch) (.977mm) and the Russian lenses are 39mm X 1mm. Read the last paragraph here on the Survival Guide: http://jay.fedka.com/index_files/Page433.htm

I have a IIIa that doesn't take Russian lenses and a IIIc that does. Yes, they are good lenses, if you find a good one.
    Is this the paprgraph you refer to?

Very early FED and FED lenses used a slightly different thread pitch which would may not make it compatible with lenses with the ‘true” LTM thread pitch.
    As stated in my post I said basicly the same thing.. However post war Jupiters are fully compatible with all Leica screw mount cameras as well as other Leica copies. The exception would be the J-12 which will not work on some such as the Canon P, 7, etc due to the light baffles..

All of my Leicas III, IIIa, IIIb, IIIc, and IIIf work fine with my Jupiter lens..
    Leicarfcam aka Colyn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin