Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,694   Posts: 1,482,483   Online: 958

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used the modern 35/2 Biogon on my Leica MP for years now. No wobble. Probably best 35mm focal length I've ever used short of the 35/2.8 PC-Distagon lens for Contax SLR.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    I've got two of the modern Zeiss SLR lenses (35/2 ZS Distagon and 85/1.4 ZE Planar) and have no complaints about the build quality. They certainly have a better manual focus feel than any Canon lens I've used.
    Same experience here. I have several Zeiss ZFs and build quality is their strongest point. Every bit as solid and tight as Leica lenses in my experience. All these current Zeiss lenses are made by Cosina. I don't understand how the rangefinder Zeiss Z lenses would be of lower build quality than the SLR versions. If anything they should be better since they are far less complicated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    I've used the modern 35/2 Biogon on my Leica MP for years now. No wobble. Probably best 35mm focal length I've ever used short of the 35/2.8 PC-Distagon lens for Contax SLR.
    Oh, and my Jupiter-12. :-)
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I have four ZM rangefinder lenses - 21 4.5, 25 2.8, 35 2.8, and 50 1.5. The only one that has an issue is the 50 - it squeaks when focusing and probably needs lube. No wobble, and the other three have been fine for years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Zeiss ZM lenses are fine quality. I've never heard of 'wobble', but all those I have used and owned have been quality performers with nicely weighted aperture and focusing rings. They are nearly all built in Japan by Cosina Voigtlander, but to much higher specs than CV lenses. But I don't think a lower price automatically means a poor build quality. The image quality is in most cases almost on a par with Leica, but with a different character to the rendering and colour signature. They also make lenses that are all about a unique character, such as the 50mm Sonnar, something that Leica dare not do for fear of losing the clinical look.

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I only have two Cosina SLR lenses (that's who makes the Zeiss isn't it?) and they seem really well built to me. The lenses are the 58mm 1.4 and Apo-Lanthar 90mm 3.5 in Nikon mount, both lenses have aperture and focusing actions that are superior to anything made by Nikon, beautifully damped. Leica of course are the benchmark, but the cost is astronomical.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I love both my Zeiss lenses - I cannot hope for more optically. Build quality however... well both have the wobbles and I can't stand it. Drives me mad really...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Leica lenses have well known problem called "wobbling empty wallet"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think my ZM 35mm 2.8 is, as far as build quality, exactly what I'd expect for the money...or maybe a bit better. For me it's not a lens for life, but I'd be pleased to get 10 years out of it with heavy shooting. With that, I've no problem at all handling it, and actually prefer the slightly looser focus pull for focusing speed and ease. There is no wobble with mine.

Otherwise, it's an okay piece of glass. A lot of fall off (the biggest let down), and not as sharp as I was expecting after hearing raves...but it has a beautiful palette. A bit old school for me at times, but I was coming from Nikkor glass, not Leica.

They're a good value, but I would be sure to test the lens to make sure it's the look you want, since I found it to be rather distinct compared to other lenses I've used over the years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    Leica lenses have well known problem called "wobbling empty wallet"
    So apparently 60s and 70s Nikkors strike the happy medium between wobble and being broke.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin