Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,397   Online: 1151

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

zm lenses: build quality and wobble

I'm debating between ZM lenses and Leica lenses in the future. I know it's high-contrast vs low-contrast, Made in Germany vs Made in Japan, flare-free vs flarey, etc.

One of my concerns is build quality. I fear that the ZM's might have some quality control issues. I've never held one in my hand, but do they feel substantial? And the wobble, is it a DIY fix?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Based on my experience (a huge sample of 2) they are great. Solid feeling, no wobble, excellent results. Well worth the price.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by puketronic View Post
    I'm debating between ZM lenses and Leica lenses in the future. I know it's high-contrast vs low-contrast, Made in Germany vs Made in Japan, flare-free vs flarey, etc.

One of my concerns is build quality. I fear that the ZM's might have some quality control issues. I've never held one in my hand, but do they feel substantial? And the wobble, is it a DIY fix?

I have no idea what you're talking about when you mention "I know it's high-contrast vs low-contrast, Made in Germany vs Made in Japan, flare-free vs flarey, etc.".

All I can tell you is that the ZM will eventually wobble. And that's the worst thing that can happen in a lens. When a lens of mine develops a wobble I wanna smash it on the concrete instantly, without thinking. I just hate it.

I have no ZM lenses anymore. All Leica.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm sorry.

I didn't mean to ramble with that stuff, but I didn't mean to turn this into a typical Zeiss ZM vs Leica type of thread either.

I wanted an evaluation on the build quality alone. My main fear with these lenses is that they will wobble, which to me, is a little unacceptable given their price. I know that they can cost considerably less than most Leica lenses, but still, a $500-$1000 lens shouldn't wobble.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For what its worth. I recently purchased a Zeiss Ikon with two lenses. I've had the kit for about a month. I shot with it every day the past couple weeks. Build quality of the lenses is excellent. No wobble. Warentee on the kit is 3 years. If I do experience wobble hopefully they'll take care of the issue.
    --
    Kenton Brede
    http://kentonbrede.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What exactly are you guys referring to when you say "wobble"?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have been using a Zeiss 21/2.8 since it was released and it still works perfectly. I would say that mechanically it is neither better or worse than my Leica lenses (they are all excellent).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    >What exactly are you guys referring to when you say "wobble"?

I think they mean when focusing and aperture rings become a little lose.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I've been selling the Zeiss ZM lenses in Canada longer than anyone else.
    I've sold 100's of the lenses.
    I have yet to a single unit returned because of the wobble.
    People seem very happy with them and I use them myself and have had no issues.

The Leica gear is great as well. Wonderful look to the images and great build quality.

I think if they were the same price I might choose the Leica gear, but since a new lens is 5X the price I find it hard to justify for myself.

Of course your mileage may vary.

-Rob
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've got two of the modern Zeiss SLR lenses (35/2 ZS Distagon and 85/1.4 ZE Planar) and have no complaints about the build quality. They certainly have a better manual focus feel than any Canon lens I've used.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin