Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,773   Posts: 1,484,388   Online: 1110

Shooter
    Multi Format

First ever rangefinder.

Hi All.

I picked up my Agfa Isolette from the post office yesterday. As a rule I've been a 35mm SLR man although when I was a child, I remember using a toy camera that took roll film. But this is my first rangefinder.

The shutter, focussing and aperture all seem ok. As far as I can tell the range finder works too (at least it gives believable results) although part of the image seen through the range finder is higher than the other, so I reckon this might need some adjustment.

On two of the corners, there are what look like cuts in the bellows. That being said, I've put a flashlight up it in the dark and I can't see light escaping. But I wonder how long the bellows will last.

So I hope some of you rangefinder experts could give me a tip or two.

Cheers.
    Chris B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the bellows appears light-tight, so far so good. Of course, the actual results on film are what count, and I gather you have not gotten any film processed yet. Agfa bellows are notoriously prone to leaking -- Jurgen Kreckel (certo6.com -- very informative site, and a great source for repairs of folders) will tell you so, and he's a big fan of Agfas. So you may need to budget for a bellows replacement sooner rather than later.

If there are small light leaks, there is some stuff called "Liquid Electrical Tape" (or something like that) that you can apply to the bellows and it may well seal up pin prick leaks sufficiently. Spray it into a container and then use a cotton swab to apply it to the bellows. You'll probably need three coats; let the stuff dry sufficiently (overnight, say) before the next application.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin