Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,507   Online: 842

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    This is why news photographers used Dektol. It was quick, grainy, and unsharp. Used for 3 mins. (1:3) or 7 mins. (1:7) with Super XX film and a quick wash and dry in Alcohol and they had a printable negative for the newspaper.

There is another thread here on Dektol as a film developer. I wish this could be crossed over with that!

PE
    'Been there, done that'. My first couple of years (57- 59) as a photographer for the University of Michigan student newspaper (Michigan Daily) when on a tight deadline, I occasionally tray processed a 4X5 sheet in a tray of Dektol and printed the negative wet. Newspaper reproduction was via a Fairchild Scan-A-Sizer.

When Google searching for "Fairchild Scan-A-Sizer", I came across this interesting article describing newspaper photography in 1957. Sarasota Herald-Tribune "Pictures Play Major Role In Growth of Newspapers" at http://bit.ly/WFJ819

You may need to reduce the magnification and scroll around the page to see all the articles.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

1945 Kodak 35RF!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    'Been there, done that'. My first couple of years (57- 59) as a photographer for the University of Michigan student newspaper (Michigan Daily) when on a tight deadline, I occasionally tray processed a 4X5 sheet in a tray of Dektol and printed the negative wet. Newspaper reproduction was via a Fairchild Scan-A-Sizer.

When Google searching for "Fairchild Scan-A-Sizer", I came across this interesting article describing newspaper photography in 1957. Sarasota Herald-Tribune "Pictures Play Major Role In Growth of Newspapers" at http://bit.ly/WFJ819

You may need to reduce the magnification and scroll around the page to see all the articles.
    What I found interesting is that if you read both articles it basically says you can develop a piece of film AND print it with enough time left to spend 15-20 minutes with the engraving machine... Meaning the develop and print process could be a MAX of 15 minutes... Such BS... OR those news guys were insane! No wonder they used alcohol to dry it quick, didn't seem to have time to even clear the film! LOL printing right from a wet neg makes a lot of sense from this timeframe schedule lol. I'm sure the newspaper wants to just sound impressive and "wow" the audience but c'mon! Lol

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    What I found interesting is that if you read both articles it basically says you can develop a piece of film AND print it with enough time left to spend 15-20 minutes with the engraving machine... Meaning the develop and print process could be a MAX of 15 minutes... Such BS... OR those news guys were insane! No wonder they used alcohol to dry it quick, didn't seem to have time to even clear the film! LOL printing right from a wet neg makes a lot of sense from this timeframe schedule lol. I'm sure the newspaper wants to just sound impressive and "wow" the audience but c'mon! Lol

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    15 minutes would be a rush, but doable in the day.

30 minutes would be fairly common.

The quickest I ever had to develop and print something from a roll was one hour - while they held the presses.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

1945 Kodak 35RF!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    15 minutes would be a rush, but doable in the day.

30 minutes would be fairly common.

The quickest I ever had to develop and print something from a roll was one hour - while they held the presses.
    Now that's pressure....

~Stone

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Our "rush" at Cape Canaveral was on the order of 15 mins. to 1/2 hour. When doing real intelligence work in SEA, our rush was literally in and out the door. Some negs were still tacky.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Our "rush" at Cape Canaveral was on the order of 15 mins. to 1/2 hour. When doing real intelligence work in SEA, our rush was literally in and out the door. Some negs were still tacky.

PE
    OK so THAT's pressure... had to one up Matt didn't you Ron? haha

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not really. When you are doing intelligence work, lives are at stake and the answer is "we want it now". Today, they are using video cameras to get instant views, or satellite views.

That is in real time.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    OK so THAT's pressure... had to one up Matt didn't you Ron? haha
    I think my example(s) were typical for newspaper work - and therefore relatively common.

There is/was nothing "common" about the work Ron was discussing .
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think that you will note that the Cape work was newspaper work and the times matched what Matt gave.

And the other times, as Matt says, were hardly ordinary.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I think that you will note that the Cape work was newspaper work and the times matched what Matt gave.

And the other times, as Matt says, were hardly ordinary.

PE
    So I guess you know some pretty interesting secrets then huh? Make any dupe slides of anything interesting? the 3rd gunmen perhaps? hehe

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin