Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,020   Online: 903

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Contax G - Always On?

I've just got a new (to me) G2. I notice that when the camera is off, the frame counter LCD still illuminates as well as other LCD if set to DX film.

Is it me, or do you think that the prevelence of G1's and G2's with LCD bleed is a result of this 'always on feature'? Thankfully mine has no issues w it.

I will be sure to keep mine w/o batteries while not in use to not promote the degradation of the LCD.

I know it is always good practice to remove batteries after a shoot anyway regardless of camera brand/model; but this just convinced me further to do such immediately post get home.

You other G folks do same and think that the preponderance of G's with LCD bleed were kept for a while in a camera bag in off position?
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Canon EOS bodies always show something in the LCD, even when turned off.

I don't think they suffer unusually from LCD bleed.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Andy ,

I found the manual from Butkus and tried to read fast but I could not find the answer. I would spend 1 month to use that camera correctly , it seems to me complicated , every display on the camera goes off after 16 seconds... Two big battery is required and manual warns about cold weather for battery life.

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    I've just got a new (to me) G2. I notice that when the camera is off, the frame counter LCD still illuminates as well as other LCD if set to DX film.

Is it me, or do you think that the prevelence of G1's and G2's with LCD bleed is a result of this 'always on feature'? Thankfully mine has no issues w it.

I will be sure to keep mine w/o batteries while not in use to not promote the degradation of the LCD.

I know it is always good practice to remove batteries after a shoot anyway regardless of camera brand/model; but this just convinced me further to do such immediately post get home.

You other G folks do same and think that the preponderance of G's with LCD bleed were kept for a while in a camera bag in off position?
    As far as I understand, LCD bleed is more a function of age (and possibly thermal excursions) than anything else.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've shot a G2 since the year 2000. Never took the batteries out except to replace worn out ones. I would not be taking yours in and out if I were you. More chance of crossing the threads on that battery cap than a chance of the LCD bleeding I think. Just leave them in.

Congrats on the G2. Welcome to the club. The 45 is easily the SHARPEST and most 3-D effect lens I've ever used.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    If you want to display something on a LCD you need power (to generate an alternating drive signal for the LCD). Bleeding is not wear but a sealing issue - at some point the sealing of a LCD breaks down and the innards change.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had a G2 outfit for a long time and it is the biggest regret of my camera ownership that I sold it. Now as they are getting older and older I think again about buying one, but am more nervous about it.

But LCD degradation, as others have said, isn't down to it being 'ON', but gettting old. I wouldn't normally take batteries out of a camera because for each time you do it the contacts and the battery can be contaminated with grease and sweat, eventually causing corrosion. Perhaps if the camera gets wet I would do it, but as the technical side of photography is largely about reducing the possibility of errors I'd be worried about running out the door with a fully electronic camera and no batteries in it! If you leave a gap for an error one will creep in.

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin