Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,659   Posts: 1,481,460   Online: 1106

Shooter
    Multi Format

First pictures from my Agfa Isolette

Hi All.

I've just received the first pictures taken with my Agfa Isolette. Surprisingly, they've come out at least half decently exposed considering that all of the exposures were set using the sunny 16 rule. Unfortunately (or maybe, inevitably) there is a light leak in the system somewhere as you can see from the example.

I presume this is from a pinhole in the bellows because there are signs of bellows damage. I've tried the bellows with a flashlight and I can't see any light getting out, But is this a completely reliable test? Or could there be some different problem afoot?

The two images in the range-finder are slightly out of alignment (one being slightly above the other) but apart from that it seems to be focussing accurately. I can live with the range-finder, but the bellows need fixing. There's a place in the UK where they make bellows for these cameras. I'd like the Royal Blue one. But I don't want to fit one if they will need to remove it when I get the range-finder adjusted. So does anyone know if the finder can be fixed with the bellows in place?

Regards.
    Chris B.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06400010-700.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	442.9 KB 
ID:	55661

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If there is no rangefinder adjuster on the outside, I would expect it to be under the top plate. It should not be necessary to touch the bellows to adjust it. If you do take the top plate off, it would be a good time to replace the green gunk Agfa used to use for grease from the rangefinder and replace with a proper grease.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Other than the light leak I like the image. Its a keeper in my book. Have fun.
    “In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took,
    but how many moments took your breath away.”
    ― Shing Xiong

Shooter
    Multi Format
    pinholes can be a bitch -- you might take an old darkbag -- or even salvage shutter material from a dead slr -- and put strips of it along the inside of all four corners of the bellows -- that will seal anything there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Which model Isolette is it?

Shooter
    Large Format
    I used to have leaks like that until I got real fussy about handling the film. I learned I had to load the take-up reel exactly centered, and keep tension on the fresh spool. It is surprisingly easy to get a wrinkle in the backing paper, which then allows a light leak where you would never believe possible. Just as important when removing the loaded reel to keep tension on the film backing paper until gummed paper has dried enough to keep film from slipping.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ipno Tizer View Post
    Hi All.

I've just received the first pictures taken with my Agfa Isolette. Surprisingly, they've come out at least half decently exposed considering that all of the exposures were set using the sunny 16 rule. Unfortunately (or maybe, inevitably) there is a light leak in the system somewhere as you can see from the example.

I presume this is from a pinhole in the bellows because there are signs of bellows damage. I've tried the bellows with a flashlight and I can't see any light getting out, But is this a completely reliable test? Or could there be some different problem afoot?

The two images in the range-finder are slightly out of alignment (one being slightly above the other) but apart from that it seems to be focussing accurately. I can live with the range-finder, but the bellows need fixing. There's a place in the UK where they make bellows for these cameras. I'd like the Royal Blue one. But I don't want to fit one if they will need to remove it when I get the range-finder adjusted. So does anyone know if the finder can be fixed with the bellows in place?

Regards.
    Chris B.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06400010-700.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	442.9 KB 
ID:	55661

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Fixing bellows leaks can sometimes be easy. Go in a dark room with a flashlight and your camera with bellows extended. Shine the flashlight through the open back of the camera, and look for light coming through the bellows. It usually happens at corners of folds.

You can sometimes fix it using 'tool dip' or liquid electrical tape. Dab a bit on the hole and let it dry.. I've fixed bellows pinholes this way before.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've read that the bellows from an Kodak 66 fits perfectly in a Isolette, and the change seems to be easy(just four screws). It may be worth confirming this possibility...
    Regards
    Joao

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin