Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,999   Posts: 1,524,315   Online: 875

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    First of all, I think is a valid suggestion that of thinking twice, or more, before selling that kind of equipment.

Second, I think this is due to some "blur anxiety", a psychological condition which is not extraneous to me. By fearing you are not keeping the camera perfectly still, you actually move it.

In your case the problem is aggravated by the fact that it is an unusually light camera for you.

My suggestions:
    Sustain the camera with the left open palm while keeping your left hand fingers on the focusing ring or diaphragm ring. The right hand only presses the shutter release. The right hand does not sustain the camera.

Practice without roll, during the day, paying attention to your movements.

Breathe, release your breath by a little bit, stop expiring, take picture.

Keeping the camera still must come from inside. A Zen exercise not a muscular one. Think "I and my subject are one". "I am the subject". Feel the union of all things: Photographer-Camera-Subject. Immerse yourself and your camera in this whole. Think about it 200 times x day. Become one with your camera. You and your camera are one. You and your camera are one...
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Is there a grip that extends its height a little? Try that.
    Andre Noble, Beverly Hills California http://andrenoble.com/

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The Leica grip adds about 1cm to height but does not impede film load. The half cases do impede.
    If you want 20x16 you need a mono pod or pillar and 1/125 or faster.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I love the Ms but after getting my CL, they just do not feel right in my hand, too large. Odd as my main shhoter is a Bronica and until the shutter oiled up a Rolleiflex.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by crsantin View Post
    We change physically as we age, eyesight, steadiness of hand etc but also in temperament. If the Leica no longer works for you it's not that big of a deal. My eyesight is worsening as I approach 50. I'm still able to use my Nikon FE just fine but there are times when I struggle a bit with my eyes and manual focusing using the split prism. Also, like your Leica, there is no real grip on the FE. So I picked up a Nikon F90x dirt cheap in great shape and the autofocus on that is very reliable and there is lots of grip. Just use a camera that works for you and enjoy yourself, life is too short to fret over a particular camera (yes even a Leica).

When I was younger I loved driving stick, and I would scoff at automatic transmissions. I would hate to have to drive stick now, especially in traffic, my aging knees just don't need that kind of work. Such is life.
    Highlight: exactly. And what works for one won't work for another. I loathe the idea of crippling my Leicas with half cases, bolt on grips and soft releases, and I find them vastly eadier to hold than today's bloated SLRs, which to my eyes resemble partially formed turds. But that's just me. For everyone who agrees 100%, there'll be someone else who disagrees vehemently.

To the OP: the purpose of photography is to enjoy yourself taking pictures. It is not to purify the soul through suffering, or to accumulate 'dream outfits'. If you don't enjoy the way things are going, do something else (including changing jobs if you're a professional). Or at least try doing things a different way.

Back to crsantin. I'm 62; sold my last car with a slushbox (Scimitar GTE) years ago; and vastly prefer my Ms (film and digital) to any autofocus I've ever used. It's ALL personal.

Cheers,

R.
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    ...today's bloated SLRs, which to my eyes resemble partially formed turds.

Cheers,

R.
    A friend of mine once ordered a dozen, and only one worked.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    today's bloated SLRs, which to my eyes resemble partially formed turds.

Cheers,

R.
    I do wish you wouldn't beat about the bush, Roger. On the other hand it's this kind of beating about the bush that makes me read your column in AP

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sometime things take time.
    Akiva S.

Nikkormat FTN, Nikon F, Nikon FE, Leica M3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero/

My Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Before you dump the M, may I ask you to just once more load the camera up and give it one last try. I have been exactly where you are many, many times in the past couple of years. EVERY manual focus camera I have suffers from the same issues you have with your M. I found only when concentrating on my breathing and perhaps technique too (as in keeping my excitement level low) I was able to get wonderful results on any of the MF cameras I have. Yes, it did take away from my concentration on the composition or some other important aspect of the shot I was going to make.

I haven't given up as I get older with any of my MF cameras, I do find I am much more selective in using them (as in daylight hours only). Humor me.....can you give it a last go and concentrate on steadiness, and breath control.....if it works, then you know you can do it, but that you will have to work much harder at getting that "fun" shot of the kids or whatever. I have chosen to mostly use my autofocus cameras for 99% of my photography.

That said....many of my MF cameras have a terrific look that I absolutely love (and the autofocus just plain don't many times) particularly with a unique film choice.

Plus, I may have a personal attachment to all my cameras that I simply cannot break. It would be like selling one of the kids (at least the one's you want to keep)......can't say for sure. Never met a camera I couldn't find something to like about it....

Bob E.
    Nikon F5, Nikon F4S, Nikon FA, Nikon FE, Nikon N90, Nikon N80, Nikon N75, Mamiya 645 Pro, Mamiya Press Super 23, Yashica Lynx 14e, Yashica Electro GSN, Yashica 124G, Yashica D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitxu View Post
    A friend of mine once ordered a dozen, and only one worked.
    Turds, or SLRs?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin