Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,555   Posts: 1,545,013   Online: 717

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Turds, or SLRs?
    Partially formed turds.

It's interesting to note that Roger himself uses one (Nikon D70) for his studio (paid) work.

Shooter
    35mm
    I thought the same when I got my Bessa R but finally it's warming up to me. Sometimes ya just gotta give it some serious time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    @ jerrybro,

It sounds as if you have large hands that make operating a Leica M difficult due to their relatively small size. Is that the case?

Another thought is that your rangefinder mechanism may be out of alignment. If that is the case, it would explain at least part - if not all - of your lackluster image quality. Sherry Krauter in NY
    [ www.sherrykrauter.com ] is who I would recommend to have evaluate (and repair if necessary) your camera, if you are committed to keeping the camera.

If the issue is that the camera is just too small for your hands, a halfcase with built in grip from Luigi [ www.leicatime.com ] might remedy the problem although I tend to agree with Roger about halfcases. They slow the film reloading process considerably.

Still, a half case would be preferable to selling off the Leica gear, at least for me.

Just my opinion - let us know how things work out for you.
    "My idea of a good life is that I wake up in the morning, go out and look around and make four rolls of film a day." - Josef Koudelka

"There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are." - Ernst Haas

"Nothing happens when you sit at home. I always make it a point to carry a camera with me at all times…I just shoot at what interests me at that moment." – Elliott Erwitt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I can't make the M work for me

If you're used to SLRs, the Leica M might take a while to get used to. For example, I had to change how I focus to make it work for me. Instead of turning the focusing ring too much I instead move back and forth to get things in focus.
    I also had to change how I hold the camera in order to make it more stable as I press the shutter, by supporting the entire camera with my left hand palm, and only use my right hand to press the shutter release. Little things like that make it better.
    I would say that a dozen rolls may not be enough to learn how to make it work, but if it's torture and difficult to get a good print, perhaps it isn't worth it!
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can't activate the shutter without the muscles in my hand making the whole camera move. Rather than leave it sitting on a shelf in closet, I'd rather sell it to someone that can make better use of it and use the proceeds to add on to my blad system or get another Rollei. As Yamaha used to say, different strokes different folks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrybro View Post
    I can't activate the shutter without the muscles in my hand making the whole camera move. Rather than leave it sitting on a shelf in closet, I'd rather sell it to someone that can make better use of it and use the proceeds to add on to my blad system or get another Rollei. As Yamaha used to say, different strokes different folks.
    Considering your original post, it would be interesting to see a movie of you holding the camera and firing the shutter -- you shouldn't be having this trouble unless -- sorry, no offense -- you've rarely used 35mm before and just don't know how to sqeeze it -- you have to squeeze the whole hand, not punch the button -- the M has the best shutter button in the business for this sort of thing. It's just like firing a rifle...

but as I said, if you can't make it work, you can't, don't sweat it, find a camera that works for you.

the $100 offer stands.

ct

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrybro View Post
    Have you seen the buttons you can purchase and screw into the shutter release, making the shutter release button look like the top of a dome, much larger than the original button? I hear they work really well for making smooth shutter releases. Might be worth considering, if you really want to make it work.

Shooter
    35mm

Pinging the OP

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Have you seen the buttons you can purchase and screw into the shutter release, making the shutter release button look like the top of a dome, much larger than the original button? I hear they work really well for making smooth shutter releases. Might be worth considering, if you really want to make it work.
    To the OP - I can vouch for the efficacy of these buttons. My "new" M3 came with one and I've shot it both ways. Button wins. I am also having teething problems with the M, having shot a Nikon F -> FTn -> F for forty years. I know exactly what you're going through and I've had moments of nascent buyer's remorse.

This thread's a month old now and perhaps the deed has been done. If not, take seriously the advice of others and give it one. more. try. If it just doesn't work for you move on with a clear conscience and enjoy whatever gear you get with the freed up funds! I'd hang on to that M; it will do better for you than Kodak stock...

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here is the link to the soft release button to help with shutter actuation: http://www.rapidwinder.com/softies.htm
    They are twenty bucks each.
    Last edited by Thomas Bertilsson; 10-01-2012 at 08:40 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Wrong link.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin