Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,954   Posts: 1,586,010   Online: 676

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Cloudy/Muddy/Foggy Rangefinder finder

Hi all!
    I just got myself a canonet QL17 and was using it and read somewhere that almost all rangefinders need their finders cleaned.
    How do you recognize and see the difference between a Cloudy/Muddy/Foggy finder and a "clean" one? How does it hurt the image taking process?

Thanks in advance for your input!
    "The Medium is the Message"

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by afrank View Post
    Hi all!
    I just got myself a canonet QL17 and was using it and read somewhere that almost all rangefinders need their finders cleaned.
    How do you recognize and see the difference between a Cloudy/Muddy/Foggy finder and a "clean" one? How does it hurt the image taking process?

Thanks in advance for your input!
    Because when you look through it, it looks Cloudy/Muddy/Foggy. It is not the taking lens which maybe ok, but hinders clarity of vision and your decision as to if/when you press the shutter.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It pretty easy to remove the top cover of the Canon QL17. Then a cotton swab and a dab of alcohol will clean it right up.
    -When clean, the QL-17 has one of the brightest viewfinders of the compact-fixed-lens-rangefinder class.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    just don't try to clean the 45° mirror in the viewfinder from the back side - it is a surface mirror and you will damage the silver coating thus rendering the rangefinder useless or at least hard-to-use.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    ty all for the info and Specially Lukas for that word of warning! I heard eople put a blue plastic to increase contrast. Any comments on that? and if I were to do it, does it go on the main window or the above lens one?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Right -- the mirror that sits at a 45-degree angle has a semi-reflective coating. That coating often is delicate and should be touched as little as possible.

What are usually dirty are the front and rear glass elements, whether they be lens elements or simply pieces of flat glass.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    the blue plastic should be placed in the main window in front of the semi-reflective mirror so that the direct optical path will be coloured blue and the rangefinder image (which is usually yellow) will be more contrasty against that. however I've never tried that.

sometimes black marker pen can do little magic when you precisely make a small mark/patch on the main window plastic cover (from the front side of the camera) - it helps to tame the direct image so the rangefinder image is better visible. it's especially useful in cases you have a camera that has been inadequately serviced - like someone cleaned the semitransparent mirror before

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukas_87 View Post
    sometimes black marker pen can do little magic when you precisely make a small mark/patch on the main window plastic cover (from the front side of the camera) - it helps to tame the direct image so the rangefinder image is better visible.
    Tried the marker, and it does help in contrast, by making the rf image more visible, but also makes the direct image blurry as hell.
    Blue, red or black film what should I use now hmmm.

Shooter
    35mm
    OK, I have done this several times. And it is easier than you think. First remove the top: remove screws and turn the round nut on the film advance lever normally (ie, counterclockwise to loosen). After the top is off you CAREFULLY wipe all the glass surfaces with a soft, clean tissue impregnated with water with a bit of dish liquid. Contrary to caveats (elekm) about not wiping the sliver coated mirror, you can wipe it with this solution. Do not use alcohol on that mirror, however. The solution for this cleaning has to have enough dish liquid to create a non static environment but not so much that it leaves a residue.

Of course, you are having to get into tiny crevices here. Take your time. What I do is cut small pieces of tissue beforehand and fold a few times. Then grasp into a tweezer and carefully wipe the surfaces. Immediately thereafter, before fully dried, I use a new tissue, again in tweezers, to fully dry what I have just washed. CAREFUL is the byword here. It really is as easy as I just described. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukas_87 View Post
    just don't try to clean the 45° mirror in the viewfinder from the back side - it is a surface mirror and you will damage the silver coating thus rendering the rangefinder useless or at least hard-to-use.
    How do i know if I screwed the 45degree mirror?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin