Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,911   Posts: 1,521,596   Online: 857

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    So, apart from the Leica (yawn) brag, what specifically didn't you like about the Nokton?
    I only played with R3A/40 a couple of times, but I do have to agree with rich that M3/DR, or even M4-2/DR, is an extremely sweet alternative on the same budget. The latter is actually my pocket PS combo these days, it does the job, brag or no brag... (And where I am now, that "CANADA" is even cooler than "WETZLAR." )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I suppose I yawned because whenever there is a thread asking about an rf camera, it nearly always gets filled with comments from Leica fanboys about how wonderful their Leica is. If the OP wanted to know about Leicas they would have asked about Leicas. It's as tiresome as Windows vs Mac.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm
    I suppose I yawned because whenever there is a thread asking about an rf camera, it nearly always gets filled with comments from Leica fanboys about how wonderful their Leica is. If the OP wanted to know about Leicas they would have asked about Leicas. It's as tiresome as Windows vs Mac.

Andy, I have yawned enough, trust me (or better, ask my friend Ryan ). I carry my beater M4-2 these days because it was the crappiest/cheapest/most readily available box when I ended up with two gift 'crons a while ago. I simply see the combos I mentioned as viable options within OP's constraints. Compared to M4-2, R3A has a superior finder, non-leaking, non-burning shutter, auto mode, standard finder attachment thread, swing back... and may be somewhat lighter, too.

"If the OP wanted to know about Leicas they would have asked about Leicas."--Not necessarily. Back then I was asking around about R3A as well, a tempting little package indeed, until I realized that it won't work with my DR. It was an unasked-for post like mine and rich's that exposed this glitch in my thinking.

All in good faith,
    Vilk
    Last edited by Vilk; 10-19-2012 at 03:03 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Or you could look at it the other way and wonder how many people would respond on a titchy little forum (in the world of forum's) if only replying to absolutely the specific combination was allowed. It's like asking 'will a red Porsche 911 go as fast as a yellow Porsche 911', so you are either asking only for people with both to respond, or asking for common sense replies if thats not possible. Although come to think of it, there are probably more people talking on forum's right now who have a red and a yellow Porsche, than have a R3A with a 40mm Nokton. So I'm jealous both ways.

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
    Or you could look at it the other way and wonder how many people would respond on a titchy little forum (in the world of forum's) if only replying to absolutely the specific combination was allowed. It's like asking 'will a red Porsche 911 go as fast as a yellow Porsche 911', so you are either asking only for people with both to respond, or asking for common sense replies if thats not possible. Although come to think of it, there are probably more people talking on forum's right now who have a red and a yellow Porsche, than have a R3A with a 40mm Nokton. So I'm jealous both ways.

Steve

'Titchy little forum'? APUG? 60,000+ members, or hadn't you noticed?

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm

Better than a Leica (or a Zeiss Ikon)?

I have the R3A and the all manual R3M both with the Nokton 40mm 1.4. I also have a Zeiss Ikon with Sonnar 50mm 1.5. And a Leica MP (current model not the rare collectible) with Summarit and Summilux 50mm 2.5 and 1.4 respectively. Okay, the Leica is self explanatory and the Zeiss also an excellent camera for a lot less. But the Voigtlanders with their 40mm Noktons are by far the most pleasant cameras I have ever owned. I've heard a lot of "what you paid is what you got" as they were by far the cheapest of the three and all the negative comments from other RF fans about my cheapo Cosina in Voigtlander cover. My response, go right ahead and get that R3A or M with the Nokton. I have never owned such a fun to use camera of the dozen or so I have owned over the last 30 years. The 1:1 viewfinder will give you a while new outlook in your composition. 1:1 means you are composing in "real time" for lack of better word. You are looking at the same ratio your eyes are. You'd think Leica would have thought of that but neither Leica nor Zeiss offer 1:1 finders, at least not in an over the counter version. Composition is quick and accurate as you can view your scene through the finder at real life proportions. I think I get better photos with this. 40mm is also about what your eyes take in in one glance. This is "realism" in photography. Truer than an SLR finder. The Nokton 40mm 1.4 is also sharp with a very classic smoothness to the resulting images, though under a 10x loupe the Leica lenses are sharper and the Nokton does vignette too much for my taste at wide open through f 2.8. The camera itself is reasonably well built and definitely not the piece of junk I have heard it referred as just because it doesn't say Leica on it. The film wind mechanism is certainly precision made as the spacing between frames is perfectly consistent. The roll comes out of the developing tank and you can't help but notice at a glance how even the spaces are without even really looking. The shutter release has a more positive action than the Leica's somewhat mushy one. It "snaps" with more authority albeit with more
    noise. I can't see what not to like about this camera and lens. Which camera of these three do I go for first? The Voigtlander! I forget it doesn't say "Leica" on it as soon as I bring the first exposure into position.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin