Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,601   Online: 1342

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Getting into RFs

Guys it's already been said, he/she does NOT want a fixed lens...

Anyway check out rangefinderforum.com

They might have more info, but probably many of the same users as here

~Stone

The Important Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks. I was looking at the Canonet QL17, which has been mentioned here. I suppose this is a good camera, right? However, and I don't know if I'm asking too much, I want to be able to use different lenses and I want to be able to use all (or as many as possible in a RF) manual functions. I don't know if the QL17 covers those requirements. If not, which camera does? Thanks.
    Last edited by macandal; 11-19-2012 at 12:30 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: corrected the name

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by macandal View Post
    Thanks. I was looking at the Canonet QL17, which has been mentioned here. I suppose this is a good camera, right? However, and I don't know if I'm asking too much, I want to be able to use different lenses and I want to be able to use all (or as many as possible in a RF) manual functions. I don't know if the QL17 covers those requirements. If not, which camera does? Thanks.
    There are a lot of folks that think the Canonet is a good camera. I do not. I've used several and they all were less than adequate. You can use it manual or auto, but no interchangable lenses.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    ... but no interchangable lenses.
    That's what I thought. Thanks Brian.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The problem is that in an interchangeable-lens rangefinder, the lenses quickly dominate the budget. I'm trying to think of what the cheapest general-purpose body-and-two-lenses kit might be, apart from the fSU cameras. Used Bessa-R or older Canon body, Culminar 50/2.8, and a 90mm Elmar? You could put that together from Igor's as I write this for US$235+120+100. Going wide instead of long with the second lens would be more expensive.

A Kiev or Fed/Zorki kit would be cheaper, but with the potential baggage of fSU cameras. Some people have had very good luck with them, but some, er, haven't. And even those aren't as cheap as they used to be; a Fed-2+Industar-26M+Jupiter-12 from Fedka will run US$224 at the moment, and you need a meter or a good eye.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    Used Bessa-R or older Canon body, Culminar 50/2.8, and a 90mm Elmar? You could put that together from Igor's as I write this for US$235+120+100. Going wide instead of long with the second lens would be more expensive.
    This is not so bad. I could live with that. Which model is this?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    If you want interchangeable lenses then you are looking at either of the two Leica mounts, screw mount or M bayonet. A screw mount system will be cheaper and be forward compatible with the M bayonet through adapters. The cheapest decent cameras for screw mount lenses would be the Canon RFs. If you just want to get your feet wet you could pick up a Canon 7 and a Russian 50mm (supposedly not entirely compatible) like an I-50, Jupiter 8 or I-61l/d. All are nice lenses and pretty cheap, like maybe $40. Together the camera and the lens would set you back around or a little over $200. You can move up from there perhaps to a better lens and then on to a Leica if you find that you like using RFs.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Robert James View Post
    If you want interchangeable lenses then you are looking at either of the two Leica mounts, screw mount or M bayonet. A screw mount system will be cheaper and be forward compatible with the M bayonet through adapters. The cheapest decent cameras for screw mount lenses would be the Canon RFs. If you just want to get your feet wet you could pick up a Canon 7 and a Russian 50mm (supposedly not entirely compatible) like an I-50, Jupiter 8 or I-61l/d. All are nice lenses and pretty cheap, like maybe $40. Together the camera and the lens would set you back around or a little over $200. You can move up from there perhaps to a better lens and then on to a Leica if you find that you like using RFs.
    So, I take it that of the two mounts, screw mount or M, the screw mount is best because it would work with both mounts, whereas the M only works with the M, is that right?

Also, not all the Canons are capable of changing lenses. The QL17 I mentioned earlier didn't have that capability. Now, you suggest the 7. Is that a solid camera? I mean, not just something to "get my feet wet" but something, in the event that I really like RFs, that I would want to keep?

Thanks, Patrick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Screwmount can be used on an M mount with an adapter, but not the other way around.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    The Canon 7 is one of the best RFs ever made in my opinion. The only downside to it is the screw mount so modern M mount lenses can't be used. Voigtlander made a bunch of different screw mount lenses though and many are really good so you could go that route if you liked the camera body and wanted modern lenses. Voigtlander lenses are also cheaper than Zeiss or Leica lenses as well. There are a smattering of different modern lenses that are really good that were made in LTM. For example, Konica made a 50mm f/2.4 that is reputed to be one of the sharpest lenses ever. They also made a 35mm f/2.

Here is a page about the Canon 7 to give you an idea.

http://www.cameraquest.com/canon7sz.htm
    Last edited by Patrick Robert James; 11-19-2012 at 02:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin