Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,545,006   Online: 773

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten
    Thanks again Suzanne,

Re: the real estate, I am saying to compare the optic quality difference, eliminate that variable by printing only from a 35 mm size out of the 120 film from whatever camera to compare.

I agree and concur with all of the above posts. I like the look of 35mm for a lot of work and of course the ease and speed of using. Short of scientific tests ( Emile mentions the tests on the DR 50) what is the mystic? is it really there- the secret formula for the Leica/Contax? Can we actually see it and compare.

I like to look I get with my old nikon 35 for my street and I am still shooting with 30 year old Pentax bodies and lenses-for other work I use 8 x 10, and I will own a Leica one fine day.
    I think the mystique goes beyond just the final print. In the end, when you see a print on the wall, it ultimately doesn't matter what camera you used or the optics. (except for maybe those pesky zooms!) I've never been one to get too technical, but I love how the Lieca or the Mamiya feel in my hands, and the way I see and frame images when I use them. I love using my thumb to move the film forward, and I love that they are both reasonably quiet, my subjects may never know when I've pressed the shutter. I also think, when I'm photographing kids, that the Leica is a less intimidating looking camera to them, so they will be more comfortable, and then you are more likely to get 'the shot'.

Of course, the awesome negatives from both cameras make life in the darkroom a joy!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    As I do not like tripods I noticed that in a MF camera I use 400 speed films and 100 speed in the Leica. If I compare these the gain of the larger negative size is lost to the better quality of the slower film. So the 1970 Hasselblad is retired and a 1957 M3 is mainly used.
    My printing is restricted to 12X16", and this can be achived with 100 speed B&W using developer for sharpness (e.g. Pyrocat HD). 400 speed films seem to require a compromise developer which controlls grain size as well for optimum results.

Remember the tread about cheap 35 mm viewfinders? Picked up a 40 € Konica S3 added a Leitz lenscap plus black tape over the Konica writing and poor mens Leika CL was born. The 38/1.8 is not too bad.

Wolfram
    Colour? We can always use an airbrush later...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Revy
    I think the mystique goes beyond just the final print. . . .
    I think the point you're making, Suzanne, is getting much closer to the real essence of portraiture - what the image says about the subject, and how the camera and lens may contribute to the style of shooting that enables the photographer to capture that on film. A Leica M portrait with a 75 or 90 will likely be much different than a medium format portrait, and even more so than one shot with 4x5 or 8x10 because of how the subject responds to, or ignores, the camera. The ultimate choice, I think, depends on what you want on film.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

but would not be loading it with Acros developed in perceptol!

Tom

Tom[/QUOTE]

Tom, I have a Leica M7 and loaded with Fuji Acros 100 and developed in Dixactol Ultra the prints at 12x16 are great.

I think we have discussed this elsewear ????

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, If I had to 'stretch' a smaller format, that would be the film/dev combo. You should se what it can do in 5x4! If you are lucky enough to have a scene where tilt can be used for DOF and you can shoot at optimum aperture (such as f13 on 90mm Nikkor, where it is about 70-80 Lpmm on film).......unbelievable.

My belief in 'real estate' has culminated in 10x8. It is so big and cumbersome that I will be going no further in size. Somehow, tho I don't think I will be needing to search for the finest grained combos! If one needs a tripod becasue of slow film, there is no reason not to stick at least a 6x7 Mamiya 7 on it! Cheap as chips compared to Leica kit; you could buy one for the house, one for the office and one for the car Prices are plummeting at Robert White.....perhaps a Mamiya 8 is on the way (wow, imagine if it was 6x8 too!!!)

Tom

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images

cannot compare 35mm to MF

there is simply to big a difference in size of negatives. I saw on photo.net where someone had used the highest possible resolution of 35mm and compared it to MF and proved it couldn't match up. Leicas/ Contax G's are wonderful, and can print great to large sizes, but compare to MF (even old MF) they cannot.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    thanks Andrew,

I believe that is the correct and final answer.....35 mm lenses even the finest, will not surpass mf lense performance when you view the end result on paper. You can not compete with the added film realestate....

So if it is ultimate enlargement we are after, and we are not necessarily in the heat of the battle,and we are shooting street scenes, one can not do better than MF or the old graflex with modern glass and pop some 4 x 5.....homage to Wee Gee and the rest.

Any crown graphic street shooters out there?

Dave in Vegas

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    "Any crown graphic street shooters out there?"

No, but I've tried with a Technika III 5x7": Too heavy, so I tried with a Voigtländer Bergheil 9x12cm: Just perfect! Only problem is the single-film film holders, and he face that I only have four of them...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just printed a friends negs from his Mamiya 7 and was blow away by the sharpness of the lenses on 10x8 prints, however the smaller bit of film (compared to 5x4) was blindingly obvious on even an 11x4 in comparison. Most would agree that the Mamiya 7 is about as sharp as you get on MF, but it sill cannot make up for the smaller neg compared to 5x4, no matter what it's resolution. Surely the same point holds true. Still, I want a Mamiya 7 now.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin