Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,948   Posts: 1,585,923   Online: 1044

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    My mamiya 7, all the portra 400 she can eat, and your time machine back to the mid 18th century colonies right before the war. Yup.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    I get the feeling it is a composite photo, at the time I think photographers were struggling to stop movement and taking street scenes from upper balconies. This kind of shot was a daydream.
    box cameras with a 1/30 of a second were very common in 1900--plenty fast enough to stop this, and professional cameras had much better shutters and lenses.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've always wondered if the pictures we take now will be nearly as exotic and interesting in 100 years time..
    My guess is maybe not simply because of the plethora of photographs being taken. But then again.. how many HDs will still be around to hold all the digital snapshotting that takes place??
    Who knows.. In 100 years time it might be harder to get hold of an image from the beginning of the 21st century than it is for the beginning of the 20th!
    ps:I do not want to start a long conversation about the archivability of digital images.. just food for thought!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    box cameras with a 1/30 of a second were very common in 1900--plenty fast enough to stop this, and professional cameras had much better shutters and lenses.
    The multiple planes of sharp focus though, hadn't been invented yet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The multiple planes of sharp focus though, hadn't been invented yet.
    no, but small lens openings had...this is obviously shot with a view camera -- notice how everyone is looking up at the camera? The guy set up, focused 1/3 of the way through the crowd (hyperfocal distance) hollered "OK!" and shot. On a large format camera the whole thing would look pretty sharp, and even 1/15th of a second or so would be fast enough because everyone is either standing still looking at him or -- horse and carriage -- moving in a line away/towards the camera, thus making a fast shutter speed less critical.

Are you suggesting he shot multiple takes and combined them? It doesn't look like the sort of picture worth that sort of trouble.Happy to be proven wrong, but Occam's razor applies here.

Shooter
    35mm
    I get the feeling it is a composite photo, at the time I think photographers were struggling to stop movement and taking street scenes from upper balconies. This kind of shot was a daydream.
    I don't think so, there are a number of blurred people in the photo. Almost all of the people who are sharp are also looking at the camera, suggesting they knew the photographer was taking a photo. He might have even asked them to hold still a moment.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I based my thoughts on just the photo alone, at small size, so I could easily be wrong...

But a small aperture would require a long exposure. My initial thought was three staged photos combined (foreground, parked cart on the right, background), but taking Occam's razor to it, maybe it's two shots (foreground and background shot without moving the camera except to focus it).

The biggest problem I see with making such a composite image is how to direct the people.

I think he took the first shot to capture the foreground. Carefully arranged to leave visible street pavement (room to cut and paste). Then he'd only need to shoo some people out of the foreground - street side. This way he has a natural place to cut his outline. The fruit boxes don't move, so he can take the outline there. The street side is the only place where there would be a challenge. Nothing a little negative retouching couldn't remedy in case a blurry head stuck out.

Of course even Occam's razor dictates that he had to have an assistant and bullhorn yelling at people and telling them to look natural and stand still.

Photographer clearly wanted to demonstrate mastery of taking pictures of large groups of people. Probably has some darkroom mastery as well. He wanted a photograph nobody else could easily copy.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I spent some time looking at both pictures on the screen to see if indeed it was the same street.
    its funny how the first image has better verticals so I suspect it was a large format camera.
    I saw a couple of buildings that could be the same ... I like the scene even thought though the colouring was a bit over the top. Looks like a single
    image to me as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    no, but small lens openings had...this is obviously shot with a view camera -- notice how everyone is looking up at the camera? The guy set up, focused 1/3 of the way through the crowd (hyperfocal distance) hollered "OK!" and shot. On a large format camera the whole thing would look pretty sharp, and even 1/15th of a second or so would be fast enough because everyone is either standing still looking at him or -- horse and carriage -- moving in a line away/towards the camera, thus making a fast shutter speed less critical.

Are you suggesting he shot multiple takes and combined them? It doesn't look like the sort of picture worth that sort of trouble.Happy to be proven wrong, but Occam's razor applies here.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

A time machine and 3 hours on this street

Remember folks, ASA25 was a fast speed back then lol, however perhaps it was also pushed? I don't know it looks too good to be true.

~Stone

The Important Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

A time machine and 3 hours on this street

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    I spent some time looking at both pictures on the screen to see if indeed it was the same street.
    its funny how the first image has better verticals so I suspect it was a large format camera.
    I saw a couple of buildings that could be the same ... I like the scene even thought though the colouring was a bit over the top. Looks like a single
    image to me as well.
    The second or so taller building on the right I'm pretty sure is the same building.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin