Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,483   Posts: 1,571,227   Online: 1124

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

A time machine and 3 hours on this street

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Remember folks, ASA25 was a fast speed back then lol, however perhaps it was also pushed? I don't know it looks too good to be true.

~Stone

The Important Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I think it was a setup photo as many are looking at the camera. Obviously LF as not too many smaller formats then and the quality of the image. People were used to staying still for photographs then due to the films being slow. I think it's a single shot in a bright day taken stopped down.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I thought so too.
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    The second or so taller building on the right I'm pretty sure is the same building.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Remember folks, ASA25 was a fast speed back then lol, however perhaps it was also pushed? I don't know it looks too good to be true.

~Stone

The Important Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Asa 25, broad daylight, f:8 @ 1/100 second. How is that "too good to be true"?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Asa 25, broad daylight, f:8 @ 1/100 second. How is that "too good to be true"?
    Point taken, but change that to 1/50 a second haha, 1/100 was pretty advanced :-p haha and certainly more like f/22

I have a shot like this on my old 1910-1920's folder and that sucker was at f/45 at 15 seconds but not broad daylight hehe... But I just mean there is a large DOF so it has to be more like 22 for a LF image.

Either way I guess we have proven it is POSSIBLE this is a real image. Where did the OP get it?

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Either way I guess we have proven it is POSSIBLE this is a real image. Where did the OP get it?
    I'll concede it's possibly one single shot... But my gut still feels it may be a composite... Would like to learn more about this photographer's work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've seen that photo somewhere, maybe Shorpy.

But, say they used ASA 12 film and sunny 11 (more realistic at that time and latitude), that would still give f: 22 and 1/2~ sec. If you look, there is motion in that photo.

By 1905, shutters like the Compound, Goerz Sector, B&L Pneumatic, etc. were well developed and all capable of giving speeds of 1/100 sec.or shorter. Focal plane shutters have been around for even longer, capable of speeds of 1/1000 and shorter.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 11-23-2012 at 11:49 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

I agree with Bill... time may tell, or it may not, I could be a stickler and say "I won't believe it till I see the negative" haha

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It doesn't look like a composite to me, even in c1900 DOF and movement were not incompatible;
    http://www.brattleborohistoricalsoci...php?rec_id=723

Shooter
    Multi Format

This photograph IS your time machine. So many interesting details. No problem making a picture like this at 1/2 of a second, or 1 second. That's nothing when people are mostly just standing there. They look curious, here's this guy with a big camera up on what, a cart or wagon? The whole operation would be a bit unusual. Maybe they were directed maybe not. Anyway, it's all pretty cool.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    This photograph IS your time machine. So many interesting details. No problem making a picture like this at 1/2 of a second, or 1 second. That's nothing when people are mostly just standing there. They look curious, here's this guy with a big camera up on what, a cart or wagon? The whole operation would be a bit unusual. Maybe they were directed maybe not. Anyway, it's all pretty cool.
    I was waiting for someone to point that out.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin