Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,660   Posts: 1,481,547   Online: 1003

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

I'm looking for a 6x7 rangefinder, need help choosing.

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Lots of competing tools. The one I use uses their computer to place my bids, and I pay a fee for each successful bid (the fee is on a sliding scale).

Google "esnipe" to see what I am talking about.
    See I find that whole thing contrary to the idea of bidding, at least if I'm the one bidding, it's sorta fair haha

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I got my 7II for $800 which is a good price for it. What's your price point?[/QUOTE]

I was aiming for $1500 for a 7ii with 80mm

Here in the UK that's £950.
    I've regularly seen them go for £1200 though ($1800)

Hence the Hassy body I just grabbed. The Horseman looks great but big compared to the Technorama.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Giles View Post
    I got my 7II for $800 which is a good price for it. What's your price point?
    I was aiming for $1500 for a 7ii with 80mm

Here in the UK that's £950.
    I've regularly seen them go for £1200 though ($1800)

Hence the Hassy body I just grabbed. The Horseman looks great but big compared to the Technorama.[/QUOTE]

$1,500's about right for the body and lens, though I would shoot for $1,300 personally if I wanted the 80mm... I never liked buying the "kit" lens, and the 80mm just wasn't a focal legnth I figured I would use as much, I was right, I mostly use my 65m

Good luck though and when you do get it, enjoy, it's an amazing camera!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Two things:
    1. Ebay runs a second-price auction. This means if you bid $2000 and the second highest bidder is only $1000, you pay $1005. Best is to bid your highest willingness to pay early on, and see if you get an email in a few days saying you won. No need to monitor and keep rebidding.

2. The technorama does have a shift attachment for certain models. I think its 8mm, and can be flipped in both directions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    There's no sniping "software" it's just people who sit on and wait till the last second
    I rarely bit on eBay, but when I do I use sniping software. Since I started using the software is when someone out bid my highest bit and that very, very rarely.

The software is free and there is no charge using the software nor for winning.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format

I've used auction stealer (website) from time to time. You get 3, if I remember correctly, for free each week. If you are a paying member, you can set up auction groups, where if you win one, it does not enter bids on the rest.

Works great, but I really do not use it often these days. Not from any dissatisfaction, I just don't buy as much auction stuff as I used to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The primary advantage of the sniping software or websites is that it allows you to ignore the closing time and date of auctions. So if something is scheduled to end at 3:00 pm on a Thursday afternoon (my time - not east coast time) I don't have to be at the computer then.

And eBay doesn't really use a traditional auction structure, so using an non-traditional tool to deal with it is fine with me.

I would agree, however, that there are a lot less auctions that interest me now, even if at least some of that is due to the fact that I already have won auctions for things in the past.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm sure I'm late to the original point of the thread, but I'm a big Mamiya 7 fan and user of one. My "real" work this past semester was almost entirely shot with my 7. I started out with the 65, but I shifted to the 80 in August. I haven't looked back since, and the 65 is eventually going to be sold. They're both great lenses, particularly the 80 (which is outrageously sharp).

I got lucky with the original purchase price of my 7, which was $550. The guy I bought it from threw in a lot of film with it, which ended up being an added value of something like $200 (because it was mostly 220 film). The 65 came from KEH, as did the 80. I got the latter for $600 in BGN condition, which I thought was great, until a few days later when a LN- went on sale for $615. Oh well-- my 80 looked new to me and has worked flawlessly.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by shutterlight View Post
    I'm sure I'm late to the original point of the thread, but I'm a big Mamiya 7 fan and user of one. My "real" work this past semester was almost entirely shot with my 7. I started out with the 65, but I shifted to the 80 in August. I haven't looked back since, and the 65 is eventually going to be sold. They're both great lenses, particularly the 80 (which is outrageously sharp).

I got lucky with the original purchase price of my 7, which was $550. The guy I bought it from threw in a lot of film with it, which ended up being an added value of something like $200 (because it was mostly 220 film). The 65 came from KEH, as did the 80. I got the latter for $600 in BGN condition, which I thought was great, until a few days later when a LN- went on sale for $615. Oh well-- my 80 looked new to me and has worked flawlessly.
    I keep going back and forth on saying ill never get an 80 and then wanting it. I have a 150, 65, and 43... I thought I would use the 43 more but I haven't made it out west and I'm always guessing as I don't have a viewfinder

The 150 I use but not often and 65 is my walking around lens. I suppose if I had an 80 I might use it, but I just feel like it doesn't give me enough area to play with. I started on a 50mm as a kid but I can't do a lot of nice close focus shots so the 80 just doesn't feel like a lens I would use for an RF.

Anyway glad you enjoy it.

Wonder if the OP ended up decoding...

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I bought the 150 from KEH, but immediately changed my mind. I only bought it because the price went below $400. I'm sort of glad it made it to me, just so that I could handle it. The 7 bodies are so light and relatively cheap in terms of construction materials, but the lenses are just the opposite. They're beautiful, and none more so than the 150. I returned the copy, but I came away knowing that I don't think I would want one (unless it was free or almost so).

The closest you can get to to a 50 (on 35mm) on the 7 is the 80, and it's more like a 40. I actually think it's the closest to being "just right," at least for me. I photograph almost nothing but people with my 7, mainly portraits, and the 80 works great for me for that purpose. When I had the 65 and was using it regularly, I also didn't think the 80 would have enough space for me, but it does, particularly now. Also, the lighter weight is a plus. It balances well with the body and that's part of why I prefer working with the 7 more than anything else.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin