Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,763   Posts: 1,516,187   Online: 1013

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

I'm looking for a 6x7 rangefinder, need help choosing.

Hi all, first post.

I've had a love hate relationship with film. I used to have a Hassy H1
    with the film back and still have an Eos 3 around but because I shoot professionally the convenience of Digital is something I have to have for speed.

But, I want to get myself a decent film Rangefinder. I travel a lot, on my own regularly and I like to shoot digital but also work some film too because nothing touched it.

So I looked at all sorts of cameras, the RZ being a strong contender, the GX680 being another but ultimately I need something more portable than that hence the rangefinders.

However, it seems every day I'm finding something new. I was looking at the Mamiya 7 as a very strong contender, then I stumbled across the latest fuji GF670 which is also a Voigtlander Bessa, but the older versions seem to have an interchangeable lens...etc.

In short, I'd like to know what is a good one to buy. I want to shoot digital but also the same scene with film. I'd really prefer interchangeable lenses and it must be 6x7 or bigger because as I already have a Hassy I could just buy another body whilst using my existing lenses. Budget wise, it's not too bad providing the camera is worth it (value being relative to quality).

Any help would be much appreciated. A good viewfinder for focusing would be lovely too.

Thanks,
    Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You've named all the good options. Perhaps you should hire and try a couple of them to see which works well for you?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    You've named all the good options. Perhaps you should hire and try a couple of them to see which works well for you?
    There's quite few rental places for MF digital, Calumet being one but generally there doesn't seem to be any for the film market, at least not for rangefinders.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Chris and welcome to APUG. Good luck with your search.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It doesn't sound like money is going to be much of a barrier for you but a Koni-Omega is the best bang for the buck. Lens quality is supposed to be on par with Hasselblad and film flatness is unparalleled. They are ugly and bulky, cheap and uncommon. If a Mamiya 7 is on your list I wouldn't expect the Koni to be but take a look regardless. Interchangeable lenses and backs.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the hellos and help all.

Just looked at the Koni....this is why I asked on here. I never even knew it existed.
    Last edited by Chris Giles; 11-25-2012 at 06:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Mamiya 7 has likely the sharpest lenses of all in a MF package. There are some that believe the quality is on par with a 4x5 if used with say Fuji ACROS film. The Fuji/Bessa RF is only available as either a stand lens offering, or SW variant. You'd need 2. I'd therefore go with the Mamiya for both lens quality, and portability. The older Fuji RF 6x7 cameras that had interchangeable lenses are a lot older, harder to find, and bulkier.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello and welcome to Apug! The Mamiya seven seems to be a popular choice, really great lenses from what I hear. I have a Fuji GW680, which has a fixed lens but it's great fixed lens! Also a great carry around camera...think Leica on steroids, in fact it has been called the Texas Leica.
    Tony

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

I'm looking for a 6x7 rangefinder, need help choosing.

Mamiya 7 II is your best bet, get the II as the original 7 has a spot meter, the 7 II has a scenic average meter and is fairly accurate.

Good luck!

I have a 7 II, 150mm, 65mm and 43mm love them all but make sure you get the viewfinder with the 43mm... It's a difficult frame without it.

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin