Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,884   Posts: 1,520,523   Online: 822

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Small carry

Bessa R, one of the best under 150.00 RF bodies I have, small, if you have a large pocket and an array of hard to beat glass at hard to beat prices. Try the others but the viewfinder is second to none. The easy to use meter needs a common easy to find battery, but one can still work without it. A downside for me- -- it's so darn lite! I had to get use to its lack of weight. Is it tough? Well, it's no Canon P, but it's tough enough! Been using mine these past three years. Good luck with your choice.
    Last edited by Red Robin; 12-05-2012 at 05:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The truth is that everyone wants a fully advanced rangefinder with manual controls, meter and a high-speed lens. And, of course, they don't want to pay more than $50.

Nearly everything is about compromise - either in you paying more than expected or in the features that you hope to see on a camera.

For the money, the Cosina Voigtlander cameras offer incredible value. I would look for a used Bessa-R2. Well, I guess they're nearly all in used condition these days. I'd go for the R2 because the price should be low, plus you can use either M-bayonet or L-39 screw-mount lenses (with an adapter).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am happy to pay more than $50, but if I am getting a lower end/fixed lens rangefinder it doesn't make sense to me to pay more than I paid for my FM2 or RB67. Anyway, thanks to this thread I have lots of potential options to investigate. Thanks everyone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Voigtländer Vito and Vitorette are both great. I have a Vitorette DR — great viewfinder. No meter in the VF though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If the OPs goal is the image quality, I would suggest point and shoot for this price range. A good point and shoot, such as Olympus mju or Yashica T4 will give you much better result than the cheap rangefinder lenses...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just my two cents, I love the Canon Canonet QL17 gIII. Between 80-150 USD, with full manual controls (plus A-priority IIRC), a crazy light body, and a pretty decent rangefinder to boot. Also one of the only rangefinders on this list to incorporate a fast-loading mechanism. You'll find almost all of them have had their foam destroyed by age, but we all know how simple that is to fix.
    In other worlds he has
    darker days, blacker swells.
    Strokes that mix noir revenge
    on waves of grey.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I didn't mean to criticize you personally, but this type of question has come up often and it generally follows the same line: the desire for a full-featured camera at a very low price. But I suppose we're all after that deal.

My mom called it "champagne taste on a beer budget." I used to laugh at that remark, but I suppose she was right.

However, I still think that the Bessa-R2 is the best value for the money. Great viewfinder. Interchangeable lenses. Accurate meter, although you don't get much as far as viewfinder display

I can't recall if I mentioned the Voigtlander Vitomatic IIb with a Color-Skopar lens. This is a 1960s "Made in Germany" Voigtlander camera.

The camera has a small prism that allows you to see the shutter speed and aperture dials and meter needle in the viewfinder. Plus, it has a rangfinder.

The lens is excellent, and the body is compact.

The only negative is that it weighs quite a bit more than other cameras.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    no offence taken - I was just wondering if there was a camera out there for not that much that could do what I wanted it to. I paid less than $100 for a perfectly nice FM2 with 28mm Nikkor lens and an off brand zoom lens, and $300 for an RB67 with 2 120 backs, polaroid back, 90mm lens and a bunch of accessories. So I figured I should be able to find a lesser camera (in this case a compact rangefinder) for less money.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rangefinder prices tend not to go down as quickly and not to the extent that SLRs do.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    get a used nikon fm or fe with a 35mm lens,and you'll never look back
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin