Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,129   Online: 985
      
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    650
    Images
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by rolleiman View Post
    ...I've heard that M6 rangefinders have a tendency to "flare" in certain light conditions making them difficult to focus. I came across this criticism again when reading a Net review of the Bessa R2; the reviewer stating he preferred the Bessa to the M6 as the rangefinder was brighter and not prone to the flare exhibited by the M6 in bright light..
    The Leica photographer is not supposed to rely on the rangefinder that much, he should be able "see* the shot on his mind, the RF is optional.
    If someone complains about Leica RF/VF, even the LTM ones, then he simply need practice.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Hertfordshire England
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    11
    When I was in KwaZulu-Natal last year there was occasionally some flare on my M6, but to be honest, I've never thought it a problem. The finder on my M2 seems much brighter.

    Either way the cameras and lenses themselves are so light and easy to use I have always just excepted it as being how it is! I started using screwmount Leicas years before the internet, and so have never had a problem with on-line reviews!

    I suggest you go to a camera shop and just try one out. The only problem with that course though is that as soon as you hold it, you'll have to have it!

    Susie

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    262
    [QUOTE=Susie Frith;suggest you go to a camera shop and just try one out. The only problem with that course though is that as soon as you hold it, you'll have to have it!

    Susie[/QUOTE]

    That's what scares me Susie!..As has been stated, the MP doesn't suffer the flare problem, but UK s/h prices for this model are prohibitive, possibly because they don't crop up that often compared to previous models. I'd thought about an M2 or M4 chrome, since I'd heard the flare problem started later after production shifted to Canada. (Although I may be wrong here).

    Not having sampled Leicas or Bessas, I was very much looking to lighten my load, after hunking around mainly Nikon gear during a professional career.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    OH
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,789
    Images
    2
    I've definitely had it happen a bit. It usually only happens in a certain situations; depending on what you shoot, you might never encounter it. Moving your eye in the finder can help sometimes, as can rotating the camera by 90 degrees.

    Would it deter me from buying an M6? No. Would I get the finder upgrade installed on a favorite camera if it went to DAG for some other reason? Yes.

    As it is, my M7 has the upgraded finder and I do find it better. However, the 0.58x finder makes much larger impact on my day to day use than the flare fix.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Hertfordshire England
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    11
    Hi Rolleiman (do you have a name we can call you by?)

    I really do think you're getting bogged down with the flare 'problem'. As you say you used Nikons professionally for years, I think the whole rangefinder thing will be a bigger shock to the system than possibly occasional flare in the viewfinder. I use Leicas because I find them very convienient to use, not awkward at all, and am happy with the lens range available: mine are all modest aperture versions - no speed giants!

    Although I still have my M2 and lenses (which I bought from its original owner - a retired Major in 43rgt Royal Marines Commando!) now my eyesight is so poor close up, I find the LED meter in the M6 so much easier to use. I cannot read the MR meter on the M2 without putting my glasses on. Don't forget that the M2 only has brightline frames for the 35, 50 and 90mm lenses. It is now on the reserve list, usually with a Visoflex attached!

    Recently, I had thought of getting an MP a la carte, not because of any flare issue (to be honest I didn't know there was one until I read your post) but as a retirement present to myself. In the end I just kept with my M6 as it is an old friend of twenty years!

    In all fairness, you really do need to go and have a play with one at a good shop: and buy it from there, not ebay!

    Best wishes,

    Susie

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by rolleiman View Post
    Apologies if this subject has been raised before, but I've heard that M6 rangefinders have a tendency to "flare" in certain light conditions making them difficult to focus. I came across this criticism again when reading a Net review of the Bessa R2; the reviewer stating he preferred the Bessa to the M6 as the rangefinder was brighter and not prone to the flare exhibited by the M6 in bright light.

    Have M6 users encountered this? Would it deter you from purchasing another one?
    "Tempest in a Tea Pot".
    Seriously, I don't know how many of these users get anything done as they are constantly complaining about this or that feature that they don't like. I use the equipment for what it can accomplish and work with any problems.
    I have had M cameras for over25 years with M3, M6 and two M7's. Yes you can get flare in the M6, so what. move slightly, my M7's are upgraded simple because they were already at Solm's for the ASA reader upgrade and one had the finder also upgraded under warranty and I paid for the other simply because I wanted both M7's alike, my 0.85 M6 has never been upgraded(both my M7's are 0.85 also).
    It's a non issue.-Dick

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by georg16nik View Post
    The Leica photographer is not supposed to rely on the rangefinder that much, he should be able "see* the shot on his mind, the RF is optional.
    If someone complains about Leica RF/VF, even the LTM ones, then he simply need practice.
    Excuse me for being so blunt but that's about the stupidest Post I have read in a long time.-Dick

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by Susie Frith View Post
    Hi Rolleiman (do you have a name we can call you by?)

    I really do think you're getting bogged down with the flare 'problem'. As you say you used Nikons professionally for years, I think the whole rangefinder thing will be a bigger shock to the system than possibly occasional flare in the viewfinder. I use Leicas because I find them very convienient to use, not awkward at all, and am happy with the lens range available: mine are all modest aperture versions - no speed giants!
    Susie
    You can call me Mark..
    I'm fairly used to a rangefiner, for years (before the digital plague!) I used an Olympus 35RC pocket rangefinder for "discreet" news jobs...since replaced with the 35RD, main difference a 40mm f1.7 zuiko lens. instead of the 2.8 version. I figured on a Leica with the collapsible 2.8 Elmar 50mm, a compact version of the 90mm Elmarit plus a
    28mm. I know from experience this range covers most situations of a travel nature. I figured I'd be able to stash these in the pockets of a photo jacket without needing a camera bag. As I enjoy footpath walking with a rucksack, a camera bag as well just gets in the way.

    I'm satisfied from what I've heard here that the "flare" problem is a minor one

  9. #19
    Pioneer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Elko, Nevada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    813
    Images
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by budrichard View Post
    Excuse me for being so blunt but that's about the stupidest Post I have read in a long time.-Dick
    Wow, just a bit techy ain't we...

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    650
    Images
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by budrichard View Post
    Excuse me for being so blunt but that's about the stupidest Post I have read in a long time.-Dick
    Don't bother, forum trolls and Leica sissies are excused by default.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin