Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,925   Posts: 1,556,755   Online: 1037

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by budrichard View Post
    Excuse me for being so blunt but that's about the stupidest Post I have read in a long time.-Dick
    My, my, someone did not get his bottle and blanket last night.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by budrichard View Post
    Excuse me for being so blunt but that's about the stupidest Post I have read in a long time.-Dick
    I must admit, I entirley agree with Dick on this. My first reaction was, "What a load of old cob***s!" (Pardon my French)

Susie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Susie Frith View Post
    I must admit, I entirley agree with Dick on this. My first reaction was, "What a load of old cob***s!" (Pardon my French)

Susie
    +1
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Susie Frith View Post

Susie
    Or perhaps just a lighthearted take on HCB. Nonetheless, the rangefinder flare has been a real issue for many of us. Certainly, many people aren't bothered by it, but that does not mean the people who are complaining are wrong.

As far as I know nobody complained about rangefinder flare with the M3, M2, M4, or M5. Depending on who you ask, Leica modified the rangefinder either to simplify, cut costs, or brighten things up. Whatever the reason, they took out a condenser lens and people started complaining about flare. They offered a "modification" to put the condenser back and the flare problem was fixed.

Some cameras do seem worse than others. My late M4-2 shouldn't be much different than an M6, but seems to flare far less. The one M6 I owned briefly was was less than satisfactory to me (not necessarily to you), but a friend has one that seems only marginally worse than my M4-2. The flare is very situation dependent. I am almost never bothered by rangefinder flare with my M4-2, but did encounter it regularly in a particular setting last week.
    Last edited by Mark Crabtree; 12-13-2012 at 03:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Crabtree View Post
    That post certainly was BS, or perhaps just a lighthearted take on HCB..
    Certainly was BS..
    Is that so?

Next time try lighthearted take on Ansel Adams or Edward Weston, it might be more appropriate assumption.
    Visualization or previsualization precede HCB, even the Leica reel precede HCB.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I apologize if you took my comment as an insult. I was saying that perhaps there was something to your post other than BS and have edited my post to make that more clear. Nonetheless, I don't think people are likely to respond well to the implication that there is only one proper way to use a Leica.

This thread was about rangefinder flare, which is clearly not an interest that you have.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    Mine has flared occasionally. I curse a lot when it happens. It usually is not a problem but if you shoot into strong light a lot, you may want to consider holding your hand between the light source and the viewfinder. In my experience that seem to take care of the worst of the problem and it is probably a lot less expensive than swapping viewfinders. It is a bit trickier to focus when you are using one hand to shield the viewfinder but true rangefinder fans are used to little set backs like this.

+1

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have owned (4) leica M6's and (1) MP. The rangefinder flare is not as much of a problem as people make it out to be. I still have an M6 that flares once in a while, it is not a problem. I will say however that the patch was much more contrasty in the MP.

Shooter
    Large Format
    How do you know that it is not exactly the amount of problem for me as I make it out to be? I thought I got to decide that.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Crabtree View Post
    Or perhaps just a lighthearted take on HCB. Nonetheless, the rangefinder flare has been a real issue for many of us. Certainly, many people aren't bothered by it, but that does not mean the people who are complaining are wrong.

As far as I know nobody complained about rangefinder flare with the M3, M2, M4, or M5. Depending on who you ask, Leica modified the rangefinder either to simplify, cut costs, or brighten things up. Whatever the reason, they took out a condenser lens and people started complaining about flare. They offered a "modification" to put the condenser back and the flare problem was fixed.

Some cameras do seem worse than others. My late M4-2 shouldn't be much different than an M6, but seems to flare far less. The one M6 I owned briefly was was less than satisfactory to me (not necessarily to you), but a friend has one that seems only marginally worse than my M4-2. The flare is very situation dependent. I am almost never bothered by rangefinder flare with my M4-2, but did encounter it regularly in a particular setting last week.
    Hi

When I got an M4 back from a shutter replacement service, the docket said something like also 'fitted a finder enhancement to reduce flare', think it was a factory suggested modification. It never flared like a M6 either before or after the service, the M2 and M3s never flare like a M6...
    An early M4-2 never flared like a/my M6.
    My M6 would flare with a light source in top right part of scene just outside 5cm 24x36 frame, but only the rangefinder spot flared, it went 100% white. The M6 had bad zinc rot as well.
    Leica did not seem overly concerned about customer satisfaction, but now MPs are nice.
    My French is not so good...

Noel

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin