Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,525   Posts: 1,572,338   Online: 952

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rolleiman View Post
    Another victim of an impatient, instant gratification society, whose lives are seldom touched by real quality.
    And who even more seldom recognise real quality when they see it.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Would there be anything to stop Cosina producing the same body with a Bessa name... For Less Money?

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I thought Cosina was already doing that (Bessa and Voigtlander lenses). Not sure if it is manufactured to the same standards as the Zeiss RF they made. Who knows.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I have a Cosina SLR Body and it works like an tank. I am sure their Bessa have such a quality. But I cant live with Voigtlander lenses , they are ordinary and have a different weakness in each frame I have ever seen. They are cheap but I am not rich to an adventure , people goes to Safari or climb the mountains with lots of risk factors. I believe these lenses comes with an accident in the package. As someone says Leica is cheap for what it does.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Someonenameddavid View Post
    Would there be anything to stop Cosina producing the same body with a Bessa name... For Less Money?

David
    Patents, I would have thought.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's disappointing. I was hoping to one day own one. I wonder if theyll sell for more, or less once discontinued.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Discontinued or not, my new (second hand) one is due to be turning up tomorrow

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    ZI is and was in many ways less solid compared to Leica M. I had 2 ZI bodies and sold both of them later, while keep MP and M7 as my day to day body. I hope they can think about it and come out a digital m mount soon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great camera, what a shame. Best viewfinder I have ever used in a rangefinder.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Peltigera View Post
    Patents, I would have thought.
    Hi

Sort of but only part of story, Cosina are frequently a 2nd tier company, because they can do short runs for less cost that the 1st tier companies, and both Cosina and 1st tier company make more profit thereby. To do this both companies sign a detailed contract with loads of 'weasel' words, like not reproducing the design in any recognizable form for ten years etc. The wont be able to clone a RD/1 for their contract with Epson, they may not be able to do a digital M mount rfdr camera either.

The probable reason Zeiss selected Cosina is that the Japanese camera industry has pooled all its patents, so that any Ja company can use any Ja patent freely. So the Cosina 'ikon' is really a Ja ikon and Zeiss get a cheaper camera then they could have made themselves cause Cosina are good and both all the Zeiss and Ja patents are/were free. If Cosina were contractually free to make a clone they would need to pay Zeiss for the Zeiss patents, the resulting package wold have Cosinas 1st tier mark up and the Zeiss patent premium, probable only a little dearer then a Bessa M (say x1.2-1.5).

It is interesting to look forward to what Cosina will do next, all their kit is guite reasonable for the price, but second guessing is petty impossible without a detailed knowledge of the 'weasel' word constraints.

Cosina bought rights to use the Voightlander name to allow 1st tier sales, all my CV lenses have been are excellent performers, I sold 2x Lux 3x Elmarits, and a Super Angulon, cause there was not a detectable difference, apart from glow (sic flare) from a lux. I'm sure I'm going to be told that is just wrong, but my Leica lenses are just history, I had them all from new as well... my CV are beaten up used shooters...

Noel
    Last edited by Xmas; 01-14-2013 at 05:55 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spellun

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin