Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,435   Online: 1115

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi

The IIIa (or III) meters are ok if the electrical connections to the photocell are intact, some wont be and will need replacing by an expert. my IIIa is still ok.

The knob wind on is slower then a Leica M lever but no worse than a Leica IIIg. There is not the rotating shutter speed dial like a IIIg or earlier, to snag and ruin a frame. The Contax shutter is however noisy and expensive to maintain... Neither camera is good for fast changing action i.e. you will only get one shot...

The take up spool can fallout if you dont invert the camera on loading, but you can select a spool that is tight (on the centre) if this is annoying, I use one from a Kiev... It is easy to load upside down anyway, a IIIg is a challenge for some.

Either sonnar f/2 or f/1.5 is superb, but a hood is desirable.

A IIIa with a lens is going to be cheaper then a IIIg with a lens, collectors have inflated the Leica. The Lieca will be cheaper to maintain as a shooter, it is a simple camera. A IIIa in ex condition is peerless on a shelf...

Noel

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Classic camera author Ivor Mantanle says of the Contax rangefinder that regular use of the camera will keep the shutter running smoothly. I tend to agree with that statement.

Generally, the post-war Contax is a simple camera to service - despite what others might say. The design is a solid one, from a mechanical standpoint.

Personally, I think the meter of the IIIA adds a noticeable amount of weight, and I'd rather use a IIA and a handheld meter.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    Classic camera author Ivor Mantanle says of the Contax rangefinder that regular use of the camera will keep the shutter running smoothly. I tend to agree with that statement.
    This is necessary with any mechanical camera, if you don't do it the camera will eventually need a service, i.e. sooner rather then later..
    Generally, the post-war Contax is a simple camera to service - despite what others might say. The design is a solid one, from a mechanical standpoint.
    The famous quote about the post war Contax rangefinder was 'masterpiece of misplaced ingenuity' and of the Leica almost nothing inside it...
    http://reocities.com/Eureka/park/374...es/contax.html
    you pay for the complexity difference on a CLA or if a part is worn, note the contax is nice to maintain, but you need to find some one good.
    Personally, I think the meter of the IIIA adds a noticeable amount of weight, and I'd rather use a IIA and a handheld meter.
    I carry a Westom III (and invercone) as well as a IIIa, but still need to go to gym. The IIa are nicer cosmetically, the IIIa is an ugly sister, but there can be a large premium for a IIa.

Noel

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin