Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,522   Posts: 1,572,255   Online: 742

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=Steve Smith;1434199
    So do I. It was a gift from a member of this forum a few years ago. It seemed that he liked to buy them, repair and refurbish them, then give them away. Mine looks and works like new.
    Steve.[/QUOTE]

I don't remember when I got mine but I have had it for a couple of years. It is a bit rough around the edges, the metal parts have some rust spots on them and I have pushed the shutter button without cocking the lens so many times it has bent so it no longer presses the shutter lever on the lens enough to fire it. One of these days I'll tear things apart and fix it but since I can still fire the shutter at the lens it really has not been a huge issue for me.

However, it is a terrific little camera and I am continually surprised how good a job that little Apotar lens does.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mine awaits a new set of bellows. The original on my Speedex R are the OEM plastic ones, and they have been patched and plugged to no avail. Still a fun camera for inside with flashbulbs, but it laeks all over when used out of doors in daylight.

I have the templates, the approriate cloth covered rubber material from an old balckout roller blind, and the glue.
    So far the usual middle age family man woe is the limiting factor- where to find the time.

Yes, a a nice classic folder, in all other ways once the damn oem green grease is all ferretted out of them.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    However, it is a terrific little camera and I am continually surprised how good a job that little Apotar lens does.
    Indeed. And my reason for asking was precisely to find out if there were any tips getting the maximum sharpness from the Apotar. I have though of counting the the notches round the rangefinder knob and relating them to those round the focus ring. There seems to be a 3:1 ratio up to about 4 feet and 2:1 above 8 feet. But between 4 and 8 feet it's around 2:5 which is a bit awkward. But the entire rigmarole of counting notches is a bit laborious. So maybe I'll just guess like everyone else.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Counting Notches

That's an interesting observation. I have never looked at it quite that closely.

My experience has been that my very best results with the Apotar come at f8 and f11. I suspect that any focus error I have introduced is probably inside the circle of confusion at those apertures.

I have also had pretty good luck with portraits by actually measuring the distance from the very back edge of the accessory shoe (which I estimate to be the film plane) to the subject's nose. I've never done that with my Apotar but I have certainly done it successfully several times with the Schneider Kreuznach Radionar 4.5/105 on my Balda Baldalux 6x9. I know that isn't an Apotar but it is still a very nice triplet as well. I'm not sure I would try to do this professionally but with my grandkids it makes a great game and gets them smiling every time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin