Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,069   Online: 745

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Here's a question for Agfa Isolette users.

Hi All.

I have an Agfa Isolette III.

I was wondering whether any of you have a particular system for estimating the focus when the rangefinder reading falls between one of the marked distance marks.

Chris B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't have thought it critical. Set the lens to between the same two distances and you should be ok, particularly if you are stopped down to f5.6 or smaller. I manage ok just guessing distances and relying on depth of field.

Shooter
    35mm
    I only have an Isolette I which doesn't have a rangefinder but when you look at the table in the instructions which shows the near and far DoF then unless you are working very close to the subject and at big apertures then as Peltigera says it shouldn't be critical.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess. It's really not all that critical.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tend to let DOF be my friend, and set focus with a guess of about 1/3 of dof in front of the estimated distance, and 2/3 behind it. I have an Ansco cousin to the isolette, and the DOF is indicated on a little dial on the top left side of the camera body.

You have cleared the green once grease, now goo from the focussing and rangefinder? My RF takes a while to spring back, so I guess I have not got all of the green crud out of it yet.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the Ansco Speedex Special R, which is the US version of the Agfa Isolette III.

My camera has the uncoupled rangefinder, but the markings on the rangefinder wheel are the same as those on the lens focus. So, when I am focused, I move the lens to the same point as the rangefinder reading. If the little dial for the rangefinder is partway between the 10 and the 15 foot mark, that is where I set my focus on the lens. I guess it may be possible to be off just a slight bit but like everyone has said, in most cases depth of field is your friend and any small focus errors are immaterial.

BTW, even at f4.5, which is wide open on my Apotar lens, my little Ansco takes pretty amazing images.

Here is a shot on Fuji 160 taken with the little Ansco. Would have looked better with a cow or three in the foreground but I couldn't find any at the time.

Last edited by Pioneer; 12-16-2012 at 08:45 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: minor edit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I find the focus at close distance is quite critical even at, say f6.3 -- when I have a flash attached for fill-in outdoors I find I cannot read the rangefinder scale so if I 'guess' the photos are often 'soft' in focus -- then I thought of a way -- set the distance you want on the lens FIRST, say 1.2 metres, then set the same distance on the rangefinder scale then approach the subject and 'sway' back and forth watching the rangefinder spot -- when the two images are co-incident press the shutter release. I will see if I can upload a 'soft' photo where the focus is just out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SVR 07.jpg  
    An 'Old Dog still learning New Tricks !

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you can see where it falls between the two numbers you can set the same ration on the lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    I have the Ansco Speedex Special R, which is the US version of the Agfa Isolette III
    So do I. It was a gift from a member of this forum a few years ago. It seemed that he liked to buy them, repair and refurbish them, then give them away. Mine looks and works like new.

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    What you do is to set the lens to the same approximate setting on the lens.

So, if the pointer on the rangefinder is 1/3 between 6 and 8 feet, for example, I'll set the lens 1/3 of the way between 6 and 8 on the lens. Just make your best estimate and let the depth of focus of the lens handle any small errors.

Of course, it's very important that the rangefinder be accurate.

Here's what I mean. I probably would have set the lens a bit closer to "8" in this example.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's a great visual Mike.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin