Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,602   Posts: 1,622,449   Online: 855

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Is the Leica an "Investment?"

I've sold 6 Leica R series lenses this year and most have sold for about what I paid for them. Some up to 10 years ago. So investment? No. But they can certainly hold value better than a lot of other camera gear. Mine were used but looked after. Plays a little havoc with your depreciation schedule though :-)

Jon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sharperstill View Post
    I've sold 6 Leica R series lenses this year and most have sold for about what I paid for them. Some up to 10 years ago. So investment? No. But they can certainly hold value better than a lot of other camera gear. Mine were used but looked after. Plays a little havoc with your depreciation schedule though :-)

Jon
    Question, are you considering the purchase value of the dollar 10 years ago with today? It is not the same as it was.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Successful investors buy when prices are low and sell when they're high, so unless you bought an M2 or an M4 when they were introduced and kept them in pristine condition, forget it. There are no cameras being made today that will be regarded as "classics" in the future. The digital stuff, just like computers, has built in obsolesence, and has no long term value.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    tulip craze.

Selling your Leica to pay off debt will be a waste if you let the debt come back. But if it's part of a plan to get out of debt permanently then, sure, sell it; 'conversation starter' is not a particularly efficient use of your resources.

Leicas might or might not appreciate in value but I'll bet they depreciate a lot slower than 'millionaire books'.

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by thedancefloor View Post
    So I've been listening to these audio books by Thomas Stanley about Millionaires. And they're really influencing me. He says that the people who are actually wealthy, don't buy luxury items and that if you do, you will never save enough to be a real millionaire.

I have a Leica M6 Classic, with Canadian 35 Summicron version 4. And one of the reasons why I bought this camera was so that I could chit chat with passersby about it. I've been asked "Is that a Leica?" at least fifty times now, and it was fun, I've even made some friends. It's an awesome camera and I love it. But I could probably sell it for a few thousand and pay down my credit card.

Does a Leica appreciate at 12% (my Visa interest rate)? I'm guessing probably not.

Is there anyone else, so crazy as to have bought a Leica on credit!?
    If you want to become a millionaire, just do what Thomas Stanley did. Sell a worthless book.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you borrow to buy a camera, you'll never be a millionaire. You have been misinterpreting what you read. The millionaire next door doesn't blow money on useless luxury, but he most certainly does buy high quality and he purposely saves up the money to buy it with cash.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's easier than you think, Sirius. The only debt we have ever had is a home mortgage, and that will be gone in 5 years. Life is a lot easier if you aren't always paying for what you did last year. While it's best to never go there in the first place, to get out of debt, all you have to do is go through 6 mos or a year of pain and the rest of your life will be smooth sailing.

Do it in baby steps: http://www.daveramsey.com/new/baby-steps/
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    There is money to be made in buying Leicas if you find a real steal at a garage sale or live auction, but not by buying from knowledgeable dealers. There is even less chance of making money when buying on credit. My Leica M4 body cost about $200 overseas in 1970 when my base pay was $4 an hour. Now it might be worth somewhat more after 42 years of hard service. I consider it a bargain for the many thousands of photos taken with it, but certainly not for its intrinsic value.

Going into debt to make money might work for a very few people who really know what they are doing, but not for most of us. There are a lot of sharp people and corporations in trouble because they thought (or hoped) that they knew enough to beat the few experts at that game. Staying out of debt is safer and wiser. Constant studying will help one to recognize a true bargain on the rare occasions when they are found.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    The only way I know to permanently get out of debt is to stop living. I am not ready to go to that extreme.
    I've never had debt. Ever. 52 years old. The only time I use a credit card is to order something; it's paid off at the end of the month. No personal loans, never a car loan; if I can't pay for it in cash I can't afford it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    That is ok if you never want to own a home or pay for college for your childern. I was being sirius not serious when I posted that siriusly.
    \

No children, therefore no college expenses. I own 1/2 of a home so far.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin