Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,533   Posts: 1,572,702   Online: 815

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    There is money to be made in buying Leicas if you find a real steal at a garage sale or live auction, but not by buying from knowledgeable dealers. There is even less chance of making money when buying on credit. My Leica M4 body cost about $200 overseas in 1970 when my base pay was $4 an hour. Now it might be worth somewhat more after 42 years of hard service. I consider it a bargain for the many thousands of photos taken with it, but certainly not for its intrinsic value.

Going into debt to make money might work for a very few people who really know what they are doing, but not for most of us. There are a lot of sharp people and corporations in trouble because they thought (or hoped) that they knew enough to beat the few experts at that game. Staying out of debt is safer and wiser. Constant studying will help one to recognize a true bargain on the rare occasions when they are found.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    The only way I know to permanently get out of debt is to stop living. I am not ready to go to that extreme.
    I've never had debt. Ever. 52 years old. The only time I use a credit card is to order something; it's paid off at the end of the month. No personal loans, never a car loan; if I can't pay for it in cash I can't afford it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    I've never had debt. Ever. 52 years old. The only time I use a credit card is to order something; it's paid off at the end of the month. No personal loans, never a car loan; if I can't pay for it in cash I can't afford it.
    That is ok if you never want to own a home or pay for college for your childern. I was being sirius not serious when I posted that siriusly.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That is ok if you never want to own a home or pay for college for your childern. I was being sirius not serious when I posted that siriusly.
    \

No children, therefore no college expenses. I own 1/2 of a home so far.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Then your plan will not work for many people. A boat is a hole in the water that one fills with money. Children can have the same affect.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually, it's about the best way to be able to own a home and pay for college. Keep borrowing and only the banker gets rich.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Then your plan will not work for many people. A boat is a hole in the water that one fills with money. Children can have the same affect.
    Why on earth would I want to have children?

Have you looked around lately?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, let's take a look around. Who would want to bring children into the world as it is? After all, the U.N. 1990 poverty goal for 2015 was met in 2008. The world economy grew 6% in the last 7 years, but fossil fuel consumption went down by 4%. Life expectancy in Africa is 5 years longer than it was 10 years ago. The last decade had fewer war deaths than any decade in the 20th century.

Who would ever want to bring children into the world as it was in 1945? Oh, right. My sister was born in 1946.

Who would ever want to bring children into the world as it was in 1916?. Oh, right. My parents were both born in 1917.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Why on earth would I want to have children?

Have you looked around lately?
    When you are ready to be put in a nursing home, your children decide where you go and they handle the paperwork.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post
    Oh really? Let me know when you see Donald Trump shopping in Walmart Saving, unless you earn a great deal and spend almost nothing, is NOT the way to become a millionaire. This I know from experience!!! LOL!!!

Yes, my uncle started with nothing back in 1962, and after 50 years of working 12 hours a day, often 6 days a week, he is a millionaire. He sent all of his kids to university (he couldn't afford such an education for himself), and he eventually built a nice house for his wife. But he has never owned a new car, he wears a Timex watch, and yes, he does shop at Walmart. He would never buy a Leica camera, no doubt he was a little heartbroken when he could no longer get film for his old Polaroid Land camera. It's interesting that many of his employees own new cars, and wear nicer clothes and watches, but then again, they will never become millionaires.

Most millionaires in America are small business people, not bankers, doctors, or lawyers, and becoming a successful small businessperson requires a lot of sacrifice and risk. These people generally don't part with their money for frivolous things, and Leicas are certainly frivolities.

That said, I own, and have owned many Leicas, and I have always managed to sell them for at least a small profit. In my case, Leica cameras have been good investments.
    Last edited by sangetsu; 12-24-2012 at 10:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin