Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,083   Online: 967

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post
    Oh really? Let me know when you see Donald Trump shopping in Walmart Saving, unless you earn a great deal and spend almost nothing, is NOT the way to become a millionaire. This I know from experience!!! LOL!!!
    Trump was born a millionaire. His father was wealthy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post
    Oh really? Let me know when you see Donald Trump shopping in Walmart Saving, unless you earn a great deal and spend almost nothing, is NOT the way to become a millionaire. This I know from experience!!! LOL!!!
    Really? That's how we did it.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    That is ok if you never want to own a home or pay for college for your childern. I was being sirius not serious when I posted that siriusly.
    um ... own our own home, sent one kid through college and the other through professional training AND are saving college funds for the grand kids.

No home debt, no credit card debt, cars both paid for and haven't bought a car on time in 30 years. We bought the house on a 15 year mortgage and paid it off in 12 and haven't looked back.

you CAN do it. You just have to live like those millionaires a few others have described -- never buy new cars, use a timex watch, eschew frivolities (except Leicas) and never waste money on cable TV or "smart" phones that cost you $150 a month.

oh yeah, and I'm a journalist, and my wife, when I married her, was a welfare mother.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thedancefloor View Post
    Thanks for the comments everyone. I think I will sell it, and come back to it, when I have nothing better to buy with all my millions.

The thing has held its value for sure. The lens alone has increased in value about $500 in 3 years. But maybe this craziness is over?
    Yeah the lenses seem to have done better in some respects then the bodies in any brand. I remember when FD lens prices (and others) were falling till 4/3rd's cameras came out and adapters showed up. Then every great lens in the Pentax, Minolta and FD lineup's started going up. Leica glass seems to have weathered the storm better. I'd say keep the glass, sell the body and buy a Bessa if you like rangefinders. But David's comment above about shooting is really the way to go.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If I wanted to invest my money I certainly wouldn't buy photographic equipment with it.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    That's a great story about your Uncle! What an amazing gentleman. Just FYI he *can* get film for his polaroid land camera unless it's one of the very old ones that takes roll film. Fuji makes the pull-apart film and the Impossible project makes the pop out (integrated?) film. It's folks like your Uncle is what makes me so angry when politicians say that they "didn't build that" or want to raise taxes on them.

Quote Originally Posted by sangetsu View Post
    Yes, my uncle started with nothing back in 1962, and after 50 years of working 12 hours a day, often 6 days a week, he is a millionaire. He sent all of his kids to university (he couldn't afford such an education for himself), and he eventually built a nice house for his wife. But he has never owned a new car, he wears a Timex watch, and yes, he does shop at Walmart. He would never buy a Leica camera, no doubt he was a little heartbroken when he could no longer get film for his old Polaroid Land camera. It's interesting that many of his employees own new cars, and wear nicer clothes and watches, but then again, they will never become millionaires.

Most millionaires in America are small business people, not bankers, doctors, or lawyers, and becoming a successful small businessperson requires a lot of sacrifice and risk. These people generally don't part with their money for frivolous things, and Leicas are certainly frivolities.

That said, I own, and have owned many Leicas, and I have always managed to sell them for at least a small profit. In my case, Leica cameras have been good investments.

Shooter
    35mm
    9 __ 9

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No.
    One becomes wealthy by investing his money, but not on Leicas or any such thing.
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pretend you're poorer than you are, save your money, then invest it. Don't do anything stupid, like buying a new car with a loan. Never borrow a nickle for anything other than a home. You will end up wealthy.

In the past I've posted links to different pages of Dave Ramsey's website because he teaches a pattern of behavior that will enevitably result in you dying quite wealthy and provide a solid financial base for your children, and maybe even your grandchildren. People may be turned off by his emphasis on Christianity. Having grown up in a god-fearing home, but being extremely backslid, I am completely comfortable around those people. While he claims to be teaching Christian principles of personal finance, it's really more Old Testament Isrealite - how the Jews survived thousands of years in a hostile environment. I am enthusiastic about him because my wife (who can squeeze a nickel until the indian is riding that buffalo) and I operated his plan for years before he did. We learned it from our parents. It works. I stumbled on his radio show one day and heard a man telling people to live the way we lived, a way we had been ridiculed for. Funny, but nobody ridicules any more us as we close in on a million dollar net worth.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Income isn't what makes people wealthy as much as outgo keeps them from saving money. We tend to keep up with the Jonses. As an ancient Jones, I try to make that easy, but people persist in wasting money on large screen TVs, cell phones with cameras and GPS, video games, dinners out, and other money sponges. Most of these don't enhance the quality of life, but they do keep us from really living. Henry Thoreau may have overdone the basic lifestyle at Walden Pond, but it certainly beat going into debt for unnecessary baggage. Many Americans learned how to make do with nearly nothing in the 1930s. It was a tough time, but it made tough people who could teach their descendants much.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin