Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,693   Posts: 1,548,971   Online: 821

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Everything you have that you don't own, owns you.
    A very wise and true statement.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Is the Leica an "Investment?"

Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    I have zero debt. Friends and acquaintances are very confused about how I manage to be semi-retired at 46 with a thirty foot boat. Some of it was just plain good luck, but it was important that I was in a mental and financial position to allow that luck to happen, and then be able to take advantage of it. Everything you have that you don't own, owns you. I learned that some time ago.

All my camera gear has been an investment, but the investment is realized by the cash flow created by my use of the camera. There are about a zillion better investments than capitol appreciation on a camera. Burying money in a hole is among them.
    +1 heck +10

Want to pass along some of that luck? I'm ready to receive it, I really am, tell me where to go and what to do and I'll do it

Also, a Leica is just like a leaky boat, too expensive and not worth the effort in labor... Hehe

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    Yes, let's take a look around. Who would want to bring children into the world as it is? After all, the U.N. 1990 poverty goal for 2015 was met in 2008. The world economy grew 6% in the last 7 years, but fossil fuel consumption went down by 4%. Life expectancy in Africa is 5 years longer than it was 10 years ago. The last decade had fewer war deaths than any decade in the 20th century.

Who would ever want to bring children into the world as it was in 1945? Oh, right. My sister was born in 1946.

Who would ever want to bring children into the world as it was in 1916?. Oh, right. My parents were both born in 1917.
    My mother was born in 1938, my aunt in 1940 and my other aunt in 1942. After which, my grand-father went volunteer in WWII in 1943 (he was 32 and with three children, never to be called) to defend the fatherland from the incoming invasion by the bloody foreigner. Apparently somebody with a lot of belly and not many hair told him we would have repelled the invader on the shores of Sicily*.

The lesson I can derive from this is that if only rational people made children, the world would be inhabited by now

* He told me later that on southern Sicily where he was sent the defence was constituted by an average machine-gun every 11 km of coast. Not joking.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    My outlook on investing, and business in general, is always to do a little better tomorrow than I did today. In business, I try to increase my inventory and sales by 5% a month. It's not at all easy, I don't have a lot of experience being in business for myself, but after three years of steadily increasing sales, I have learned a lot. Last year I passed the point where my business income passed what I get from my regular job. I find that now I have money, but I rarely have any free time or a day off.

In the next year I will incorporate, and if sales improve as much as they hope, I will quit my job, and work for myself. I recently branched out into a new field of goods, and the results were better than expected. Unfortunately, I don't have enough time to pursue the new goods until I hire a helper to do some of my current work.

When I was young, I didn't have a good idea about how investments worked. It seemed like black magic to me. I discovered that investing was simply buying low and selling high. I eventually found a niche in which I could invest in something I understood and enjoyed. I was surprised that I could make money at it.

It is nice to see business and investments grow. It is like building a house, or creating a painting. It is fun to try other ideas and see the results, and even more fun when the ideas are successful. I now have to become a better time manager.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm sure many will disagree, but in the 30's and 40's, if you were insistent on shooting the 35mm films of the day, a Leica would be the only way to go.. However, nowadays, a Leica is more jewelry than actual tool. Just my opinion.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Is the Leica an "Investment?"

Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    I'm sure many will disagree, but in the 30's and 40's, if you were insistent on shooting the 35mm films of the day, a Leica would be the only way to go.. However, nowadays, a Leica is more jewelry than actual tool. Just my opinion.
    +1

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Leica is more jewelry than actual tool.
    Actually it is both , but you must be in peace that you use this tool and not be worried about every scratch that will bring your value down. When you decide that you will never sell your Leica, and you use it and enjoy using it - then it is more tool than jewelry. If you consider to sell it in future and make profit - well ... .

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Strongly disagree. Leicas are extremely durable, last a long time (like, generations) with occasional tune-ups, are available in user condition for non-insane prices, and the lenses are just beyond. Also, what other system outside of large format has usable, dedicated lenses dating back 80 years, covering just about any look you want - soft, vintage, ultra-modern, etc? Leicas are extremely practical - just because people collect them doesn't mean they are solely collectors' items!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ...., a Leica is more jewelry than actual tool.
    ..Only if You haven't shot with Leica.

Shooter
    35mm
    Leica is a fine camera, an outstanding tool particularly when you examine the performance of the lenses that are available for it, i certainly would own one under the right set of circumstances, but here's the but, gear doesn't make you money, clients do. The OP is wondering about the camera as an investment offsetting the amount of interest he would pay. I have no doubt collectors can get positive returns, but collecting as a business is a business like any other, and I doubt paying a high 12% monthly compounding interest rate in hopes of offsetting it with simple non compounding annual appreciation is a wise financial move. Even stellar appreciation would soon be a footnote in the world of compound interest. The OP should take note of the difference between them. If the camera doubled in value every year it would still fall behind. Many people think it is apples to apples. It isn't, not by a long shot. A pizza on a credit card can cost up to several hundred dollars. Why many are so blind to this I can't figure out.

I have quite a few things that were chosen at a premium because I liked them, but I would never have undertaken debt to get them. Debt is a scourge, a slave maker. Credit card debt is the worst of the worst. The only thing more dangerous is borrowing money from a leg breaker.

The key to my success was given to me by a very rich man when I was about 20 years old. I asked him what I should do to be financially successful. He looked me dead in the eye with a coldness I had never seen in him before. Then he said "Smart people earn interest. Stupid people pay interest." He was right. The only interest that makes any sense at all is on a home, and that should be dispatched as quickly as possible.
    Last edited by JBrunner; 01-03-2013 at 11:47 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin