Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,754   Posts: 1,515,938   Online: 986

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Leicas are smooth running well machined optical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    I'm sure many will disagree, but in the 30's and 40's, if you were insistent on shooting the 35mm films of the day, a Leica would be the only way to go.. However, nowadays, a Leica is more jewelry than actual tool. Just my opinion.
    In the jewelry category, try wearing a wide angles Rolleiflex, a normal Rolleiflex, and a telephoto Rolleiflex all at once when taking photographs.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I guess i'm just not a rangefinder guy at heart. I've played with Leicas and wasn't too impressed. My friends M3 just didn't feel as right as any Nikon I've ever used (from the F to the F6). If you're obsessing about raw image quality, you can buy a damn Hasselblad KIT for less than a Leica + lens. If you're obsessing about weight, a smallish SLR or even an Olympus XA are versatile, cheaper, and compact. I can understand paying a premium for a certain "look" but, I find it's easier to get the looks I like on Large format with it's respective lenses, if I am really looking for something non-modern.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    In the jewelry category, try wearing a wide angles Rolleiflex, a normal Rolleiflex, and a telephoto Rolleiflex all at once when taking photographs.
    This is why they invented the Hasselblad
    That being said, TLRs still have a few advantages.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by cbphoto View Post
    Strongly disagree. Leicas are extremely durable, last a long time (like, generations) with occasional tune-ups, are available in user condition for non-insane prices, and the lenses are just beyond.
    So are most other cameras. There is absolutely nothing special about Leica durability or longevity. A $39 Argus or $99 Praktica from the same era work just as well with as much, or even less attention. The lenses are great admittedly, but then again Leitz isn't the only great lens maker in the world and certainly other companies have made sharper lenses, sturdier lenses, etc. Frankly there is nothing special about the Leica, the only thing it excels at is being a rangefinder in the post-rangefinder era.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Why all the Leica bashing? Walk over to your bookshelf and pull out a few books by photographers that shot 35mm. You'll find quite a lot that used Leicas. They're great tools that a huge number of very talented photographers have found to be the right camera for their use. These people were not stupid, and they also mostly were far from rich.

What the heck does the "post rangefinder" era have to do with it? This is the post film era. A Nikon F5 is no more up to date today than a Leica M4.

You can use whatever you prefer - Holga, pinhole, or Argus, but it is obnoxious to bash other peoples camera choices.

Shooter
    35mm
    Don't be silly. Pointing out that lots of old cameras are durable isn't bashing Leica. There really is nothing special about the durability and longevity of Leicas, it's pretty normal. That's not bashing, that's just a simple truth.

"Post rangefinder" simply points out that as manufacturers switched to SLRs for their system cameras, the Leica basically became the unique excellent rangefinder system. There are however many great systems out there, Leica just happens to be a rangefinder system. That is all.

Shooter
    Large Format
    My post was directed more at the "jewelry" comments, etc. I did not dispute your statement about durability; my Nikon F's have been amazingly durable and reliable cameras. But, I do disagree with your comments about there being nothing special about the Leica. I'm sure there are things that are special about an F3, or Aria, or many others too. If they suit your needs use them. The people who do not find a camera to be of interest to them are not really the ones whose opinion of those cameras is very useful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Your not going to make any money purchasing an item when it is already known as a collector's item. The people who make money anticipate what is going to become valuable. Not too many people have this skill.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Is the Leica an "Investment?"

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Your not going to make any money purchasing an item when it is already known as a collector's item. The people who make money anticipate what is going to become valuable. Not too many people have this skill.
    +1

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Is the Leica an "Investment?"

Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    I agree with all the post, and I arrive to say that also regarding houses smart people earn interest instead of paying it.
    I mean that if people knew some financial mathematics they would easily understand that it is much cheaper to rent a house, and save and invest the difference between rent and mortgage, than paying a mortgage.

I have actually put my house on sale. I will invest the sale proceed in shares, earning dividends (very easy to make 5% after taxes nowadays, I hope I sell my house before the next stock bubble). The dividends will pay for a nice rent on the outskirts of Rome, plus a comfortable "rent" living.

Mortgages make people poor. Buy a house when you have the money to pay it cash, I say. A mortgage is a way to pay interest on a large capital. Saving is a way to earn interest. A mortgage instalment is much bigger than a rent for the same house if the market is in a normal state. The monthly difference, properly invested for the long term, will buy a house faster than the mortgage.

I don't know where you get your numbers, but it's cheaper to pay a mortgage than to rent something if the same size. It's just that most people don't have enough for a down payment. Also you can't "move around" too much.

Still it's foolish to pay rent when the money is going into the owners mortgage instead of just paying your own. The homeowners game is long term, you don't see the benefit until around the time you hit the 10 year mark, then you really start understanding the increase in value and actualizing the profit as real estate values increase over inflation.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm RF
    This thread is hilarious to me, as someone who has pussyfooted around buying the best gear and was a notorious alternative-seeker along every step of the way, in multiple formats. Once you buy the good stuff, the anti-Leica/Hassy/whatever rationalizations sound quite silly.

Shoot what works for you. Make great photos. But don't pretend for a second that finely crafted gear is the aesthetic equivalent of the alternatives that we all *could* make great photos with if we had to, minus the nuance which is our justifiable option.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin