Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,055   Online: 850

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A small scall meter capable of incident light metering, could be used mounted on the camera the same way as as lose meter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The problem with older hotshoe-mounted exposure meters is either
    • they use selenium photosensor which may well have degraded
    • they use CdS photosensor which require mercury oxide button cells which are no longer manufactured (Wein air cells may or may not be available in the proper size to fit)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Sekonic L-208 Twinmate used to be sold with a hot shoe adaptor that could be attached to the meter. Its a decent little meter that is relatively inexpensive.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One can make silver-oxide cells fit mechanically and electronically. But that would mean some hassle.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    One can make silver-oxide cells fit mechanically and electronically. But that would mean some hassle.
    But they are 1.5v and decline voltage over their lifetime, whereas CdS meters RELY upon a constant and unvarying 1.35v provided by mercuric oxide batteries. Simple substitution of alkaline or silver oxide very frequently results in inaccurate readings that cannot be simply compensated with lying about ISO...the Olympus OM-1 is one such example.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltw View Post
    But they are 1.5v and decline voltage over their lifetime, whereas CdS meters RELY upon a constant and unvarying 1.35v provided by mercuric oxide batteries. Simple substitution of alkaline or silver oxide very frequently results in inaccurate readings that cannot be simply compensated with lying about ISO...the Olympus OM-1 is one such example.
    I must respectfully differ. Silver oxide cells are very consistent over their lifetime, whereas alkaline cells are not.

One cannot just substitute the silver oxide cells for the mercuric oxide cells, because the meter circuit's response to the incorrect voltage does not necessarily result in a linear error. If one reduces that voltage appropriately however (through an appropriate adapter or other circuitry)the meter circuit will respond appropriately.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ok, so hmmm.

that's a lot of information, not so much of it to make my choice easier...
    but then I don't much like my 7s.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, you've got a Zorki, and Hi-Matic, and budgeting for a meter. You could sell the lot and get a Bessa, have a nice built-in meter? A Bessa R, R2, or even R3A can sometimes be picked up for a good price. If you don't mind a separate finder/range finder, then the Bessa T is worth a look, they are pretty nice cameras and *tiny*.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by thegman View Post
    Well, you've got a Zorki, and Hi-Matic, and budgeting for a meter. You could sell the lot and get a Bessa, have a nice built-in meter? A Bessa R, R2, or even R3A can sometimes be picked up for a good price. If you don't mind a separate finder/range finder, then the Bessa T is worth a look, they are pretty nice cameras and *tiny*.
    only budgeting for a meter by considering selling the Hi Matic, which unfortunately isn't worth much here in the UK (sorry for assuming you may not be for the UK, but there seems to be mostly people from the States on here), the zorki isn't worth anything either...

anyway, added all up, unless I'm lucky, I'd need to sell a kidney on top of all that for a bessa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    The Sekonic L-208 Twinmate used to be sold with a hot shoe adaptor that could be attached to the meter. Its a decent little meter that is relatively inexpensive.
    it still comes with the optional shoe. I got one for Christmas and the shoe was included. Still, I think it is more practical to have it in a shirt pocket.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin