Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,832   Online: 1039

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by himself View Post
    only budgeting for a meter by considering selling the Hi Matic, which unfortunately isn't worth much here in the UK (sorry for assuming you may not be for the UK, but there seems to be mostly people from the States on here), the zorki isn't worth anything either...

anyway, added all up, unless I'm lucky, I'd need to sell a kidney on top of all that for a bessa
    Cheapest option is a Weston II or III, PeterLoy occasionally has one, or Street vendors on Bricklane or Sptalfield Mkt.

20 GBP without invercone/filter, 30 with (about). You need a free pocket as well. If they are still in qual after 50 years they will last another 50 years - probably...

Noel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i've already got a pocketable one, but lacking a free pocket - was considerin me options like

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sekonic makes one as well....the L-208.

I have one for my Rolleis, when I want to cheat hah!

http://www.sekonic.com/Products/L-208/Overview.aspx
    Charles R. Lawson, CPP, AFP
    PPA Certified Professional Photographer
    The Highlander Studios
    804-436-9999
    charles@quantum-imaging.com
    www.thehighlanderstudios.com
    www.facebook.com/highlanderstudios
    www.flickr.com/charleslawson

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I must respectfully differ. Silver oxide cells are very consistent over their lifetime, whereas alkaline cells are not.

One cannot just substitute the silver oxide cells for the mercuric oxide cells, because the meter circuit's response to the incorrect voltage does not necessarily result in a linear error. If one reduces that voltage appropriately however (through an appropriate adapter or other circuitry)the meter circuit will respond appropriately.
    I know, with certainty that SOME meters could substitute 1.5v for the original 1.35v battery, and not have a problem.
    But SOME meters absolutely cannot simply be compensated for even a constant 0.15v difference simply because the amount of meter error is different at different levels of light being measured! The meter in the Olympus OM-1 is one of these...I know, because I still have a few mercury oxide cells and compared the mercury oxide reading with a 1.5v substitute, and the error was NOT consistent at different light levels.
    Last edited by wiltw; 01-17-2013 at 12:24 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltw View Post
    I know, with certainty that SOME meters could substitute 1.5v for the original 1.35v battery, and not have a problem.
    But SOME meters absolutely cannot simply be compensated for even a constant 0.15v difference simply because the amount of meter error is different at different levels of light being measured! The meter in the Olympus OM-1 is one of these...I know, because I still have a few mercury oxide cells and compared the mercury oxide reading with a 1.5v substitute, and the error was NOT consistent at different light levels.
    The Pentax Spotmatic series may all be ok (when they use a bridge circuit with Silver Oxide or alkaline batteries).
    The Pentax K1000 series ditto (they use a dual coil galvanometer for similar effect)
    But I'd use silver oxide in either myself, e.g. cept when stuck on Sunday, with dead battery and no shops.

The rest probably all need a Shockley diode to drop the Silver ovide 1.5 volts (nominal) to close to 1.33 volts.

Most of the time I remove battery and use sunnyside f/16...

Noel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a little metraphot 3 that I sometimes use. It has a selenium cell. I had another handheld meter that was banged up but still had an active cell in it. It was a simple matter to trim the selenium cell to fit and surprisingly it didn't take any fiddling to read correctly.
    edit: I did a little googling around and see there is a sort of tutorial on how a guy used a selenium cell from a solar powered calculator to repair his Metraphot 3
    greg
    Last edited by GregW; 01-19-2013 at 09:52 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: additional info

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    +1 for the Sekonic L208 meter with shoe mount. Most of the time I have it hanging around my neck on a lanyard for incident metering, but when I go out with certain cameras it goes in the shoe. I bought a spare battery when I got it new around ten years ago, but it's still going strong on the original. That simple needle needs very little power to work.
    I confess I'm a gear nut within my price range. ;)
    Nikon FM2n, FG, FG20, N2000, Nikkormat, Olympus Stylus Epic
    Minox 35EL, Voigtlander Bessa-L
    Yashica-D TLR 6x6, Seagull TLR 6x6
    Agfa Isolette 6x6, Welmy 6x6
    Kodak Tourist 6x9 Anaston lens
    http://www.wendelstout.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks for the advice everyone. I managed to get a little working selenium cell type.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was using a Sekonic L-208 for a while and switched to a Gossen Digisix. The Sekonic was great when there was adequate light, but performed poorly in low lit situations. The Gossen Digisix does much better in my experience.

The Gossen shoe mounter adapter is cheap yet overpriced - see a problem there? So I went with this from Adorama (a number of other brands are available).

http://www.amazon.com/Adorama-HotSho...pd_sim_sbs_p_3

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    mine(riginal gossen)does not require an adapter,the shoe mount is part of the housing, much more stable than any adapter.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin