Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,051   Posts: 1,561,167   Online: 835

Shooter
    35mm RF

Leica 28mm elmarit version IV serial number issue?

Can anyone help me figure this out? According to the serial number guide on Erwin Puts site, my 28mm elmarits serial number does not match the year or the specified model that it is. How could this be?

Shooter
    35mm
    The same problem with my Nikon book, the lens numbers do not always match what I actually have - it is all down down to the correct information being obtained from the manufacturer, which did not always happen - or a plain typographical error on behalf of the author of the book. Erwin was good but even the best make mistakes.

You could always write to Leica in Solms in Germany they have given me information like this before. Most who work there seem to be English speakers so there should not be a problem with communication

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Time to mail Erwin Puts!
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the information on any site is different to the kit you have in front of you, it will be the site that is wrong, not your kit. Let the owner of the site know and they can improve their information.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Leica serial numbers are assigned in batches, not in a strict sequential order, so there is a lot of scope for lists to get things wrong. Any list is a 'more or less' guide, an estimate of when the bulk of the lenses in the batch was released by the factory. But some serial numbers may have been built well before, and some long after the dates on the list. The batch system is used by manufacturers where a lot of testing and adjustment is done, so sending a lens back to a previous station makes no difference to the serial number sequence because there is no strict sequence.

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Bravo Steve.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin