Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,315   Online: 1028

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

spider holster for rangefinder

http://www.spiderholster.com/

Anyone try one of these for their rangefinder?

I want to get one but I'm unsure how well they would work, any experiences?

My main fear is not in the integrity of the holster but in the integrity of the baseplate of my camera (Leica M3). I'm unsure if carrying the entire load at one point is a good idea. Any thoughts?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I haven't tried one, but it strikes me that a system that places the camera on your hip will cause all that camera weight to swing back and forth as your hips move when you walk. The better idea is to locate the camera at a point on the body that rests relatively stable while the body propels itself forward -- look at a video of a cheetah running, and you'll see the cat's head hardly moves despite everything his legs, body and tail are doing. Not that I'm suggesting carrying your camera on your head, but I think putting it on the hip is a bad idea. It's also not a new idea; belt clips for a variety of cameras were available back in the 60's. And, I wouldn't want to carry my M3 just by the tripod socket, wrist straps not withstanding. After all, Cartier-Bresson (yes, him again) got by pretty well without a belt clip -- when I can shoot as well as he did and find that a belt clip is what it takes to make me better than he was, then maybe I'll look at them again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    makes me think of a Gary Cooper movie.

"Draw, pardner...!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Trask...your last sentence...I could not agree more.
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I got to try one of these at ImagingUSA this year, and they're much more comfortable than they appear. Still not worth the cost to me personally, but there's much less camera movement and banging around than on a neck strap.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by msbarnes View Post
    http://www.spiderholster.com/

Anyone try one of these for their rangefinder?

I want to get one but I'm unsure how well they would work, any experiences?

My main fear is not in the integrity of the holster but in the integrity of the baseplate of my camera (Leica M3). I'm unsure if carrying the entire load at one point is a good idea. Any thoughts?
    Everybody knows that the man with the neck strap will beat the the man with the holster every time.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well there is a pro and con for every solution. True, neck straps work well and have been working well for many photographers but this does not mean that it is the best solution for everyone. My cousins has one for his DSLR and he likes it alot. More importantly, he carries his camera more often because it is always there and doesn't really get in his way. I can't really try his because he is at a different state and when I last visited he had applied an adhesive as a security measure so I didn't really want to mess with his settup.

I would try it out but it is expensive and more risky because of the base plate so I just wanted to hear some advice/eperience. There doesn't seem to be many people using this thing except for those who carry heavy gear and use multiple cameras during a specific shoot.

I'm not trying to be the fastest shooter per se but I just don't want the camera to get in the way and I want it to be ready.

Let me explain further.

I haven't decided which I like better neck straps or wrist straps (I use wrist straps only for security). Ideally I would carry my camera on me at all times and have it not get in the way or have to rely on a camera bag.

neck straps: i generally do not like things dangling from my neck so I use it across the shoulder. So far this works best but it does swing a bit and I can't help but feel like a "photographer".
    wrist straps: i like these too but I find it a hassle to flip in my camera bag to grab my camera when I find something interesting that I want to shoot and/or when I have to put my camera away to tie my shoe or something.

Well my main fear now is that the M baseplate just isn't that strong since it was clearly not designed as a tripod-camera. I read about some accidents with the tripod socket for tripod use, so I just do not trust it. I would perhaps consider one for a lesser expensive camera, I don't want to lose a $1k+ settup in an instant.
    Last edited by msbarnes; 01-28-2013 at 05:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    ....-- look at a video of a cheetah running, and you'll see the cat's head hardly moves despite everything his legs, body and tail are doing. ......
    Hey, get a pet Cheetah to carry your camera.... However, great way of thinking about it.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like to carry my cameras in my hand with a wrist strap attached and held downwards, not to draw attention to them.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    All opinions about camera handling aside.

The M and Barnack Leica's are relatively massive things and the tripod socket being part of the removable bottom plate, makes my answer NO, do not carry a Leica with this gizmo.

I am sure eventually the bottom plate will start to wear here and there and eventually fail with a crack somewhree and start to leak light and shimmy.... it would take a while...

I have taken apart (and fixed) a few cameras, and am amazed at how badly the tripod screw is attached to many SLR's from the 80's...(sopmetimes with 3 tiny screws inside) my answer might be no to many of these.

I have had to tighten up the tripod screw attachment on my trusty Hasselblad once or twice over the decades too.
    Last edited by vpwphoto; 02-04-2013 at 07:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin