Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,951   Posts: 1,585,990   Online: 822

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    So I'm not helping, I say keep them both. But if it's one over the other than shoot as many photos as you can with both lenses on your favorite film for the next 60 days and see which one floats your boat more often.
    Thanks! Well I'm also not looking for people to back up my decision in selling the one that I want to sell. I just want to hear a broader perspective because what I would hate most is regret. Well, the Sonnar isn't that rare/expensive, but still, I wouldn't want to go through the hassle in getting one back.

I haven't shot enough rolls through either to mark a clear preference so I think I wiill need to shoot some more to get a feel. If I still don't see the difference after a few months to a year, then clearly it is a lens I shouldn't keep.
    Last edited by puketronic; 01-28-2013 at 08:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, if you can't see a difference in your negs under normal conditions, just keep the one that feels nicer to use. Or sell the one that can fetch you more money.
    Pictures are all that matter, and if if you cannot find any differences in your own negs, why base your decision in lab produced tests or other people's opinions?

I'd even say that you don't need to look hard, using extreme enlargements etc., to try and find the "best" of your lenses. If you cannot tell which neg is by which lens on first glance, it's not worth it sweating over it too much.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have the DR Summicron and have been thinking about adding a modern 1.5 Sonnar, but there is no way I'd consider the Sonnar a Summicron replacement unless I had very specific needs. The Summicron is a fabulous all around lens and very well behaved; I'd just like the extra speed once in a while.

Keep both if you can afford to; they should complement each other well.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I have a Rollei 35S with Sonnar 40 and Nikon with a Sonnar clone. They are good not even a 70 years old Leica. Keep Summicron if you are not a I bought a Leica , I did not like it and I had needed money person !

I did not understand why you invested such a money to these lenses without research and I did not understand why you wanted to sell after only few rolls. I think as I said it was GAS and now you need money as usual as Leica bashers experienced.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well it was gas, I have to admit.

I started with a canon bottom loader with canon 50mm f1.8 LTM but then i wanted a better camera (M3), and then I wanted faster lenses (some f1.4's), and then I wanted better bokeh (Sonnars), and then I did some sales and someone offered a summicron as a trade (I thought, why not?), so now I have these two lenses and a Nikkor 50mm f1.4 LTM. Nikkor is going for sure because it has no "advantages" to either of these lenses. It is a sonnar clone so might as well keep the original, I'd say.

I did research into the lenses but I'm beginning to think that there is a lot of hype to some lenses (ofcourse this is completely debatable and controversial) so now I'm thinking that I just need one instead of a palatte and just let the lens draw the way it wants to draw. Not necessarily because I need the money (but I am by no means wealthy), but just to liberate myself from having too many of what is similar. I absolutely love Leica and can see why people would spend the money for the cameras/lenses so I am by no means bashing.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I have had bunch of 50's for the Leica. Two Sonnar 1.5s, one post war and one prewar, Russian stuff, and a converted Pentax-M 1.4. I used to have a mint Summicron, I think it was the first version of it (same time period as my 1000000 M3). I tested all the lenses I had a few years ago and surprisingly the prewar 1.5 uncoated Sonnar bested the Summicron in resolution, and beat the post war Sonnar too. It is probable that I have an incredible version of it because it didn't seem logical. I ended up selling the Summicron, although it is a good lens, because it made no sense to keep. Fast forward a few years and the 50 that I carry all the time now is the converted Pentax lens. Fast, sharp, wonderful tonality. Possibly the best all around 50 ever made, although on the Leica it focuses the wrong way.... I have been using the Pentax for a few months now and it is such a good lens I am thinking about selling my Sonnars.

If you are choosing between a Contax Sonnar and a Summicron the choice is not so simple. The Summicron will flare less but isn't as fast. You probably won't be able to tell the difference between them outside in bright sunlight stopped down. If you want a lens for low light, keep the Sonnar. Summicons are worth at least 5 times as much. One thing I liked about the Summicron is the negs had an "etched" quality about them.

If you are shooting color, I would sell them both and get a modern Planar.

Shooter
    35mm
    No color, but thanks for your advice.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I agree there is a lot of hype about lenses, though with usually at least a grain of truth. The Summicron is not hype; it has been the reference standard 50mm since the Rigid and Dual Range versions came out (the first one was a bit softer). If you need a faster lens, then you have to start making decisions.

Comparing the lenses will make you crazy. Put one away in a drawer, whichever you are leaning toward getting rid of. Shoot with the other for a few months, or more. If you are happy, then sell the one in the drawer. But I wouldn't rush to get rid of a good working Leica mount lens; as you mentioned earlier, it can be a challenge replacing it later.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm such a crap photographer either wouldn't make any difference to the outcome
    Last edited by benjiboy; 01-30-2013 at 09:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Just to throw a spanner in the works, it's reported on RFF that Cosina Voigtlander are about to release an updated M mount version of the well-regarded 50/1.5 Nokton ASPH. The original LTM version was compared favorably against the last pre-ASPH Summilux, which itself was not chopped liver.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin