Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,208   Posts: 1,531,955   Online: 1136

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IIIc/f will fit Your needs, its noticeably lighter/portable/compact compared to any M.
    If You are not after the 1.5x RF magnification and don't care for 1/1000 and speeds under 1/20., then Leica II is another option.
    Regards,
    Georg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
    ..Even Cartier Bresson has images reproduced with the sprocket holes in evidence at the edge of the frame...
    Due to film cartridge dimensions, not because of problems loading the film in camera.
    Regards,
    Georg

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Another vote for the CL or CLE. They are amazing for their portability/useability and all your M lenses fit. What's not to like? Owned two IIIF's and they are beautiful machines but are not even a close competitor for useability.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
    I think it is one of those rare camera's that I think you need to try for yourself. The ergonomic's will either have you banging your head against the wall, or loving it beyond all other things.
    I agree. For me, the IIIf just fits and feels 100% right, and I tried real hard to not buy one but CL's, Voigtlanders, cheap/beat M's, nothing could pry my attention away from the III. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

You can pick up a good quality IIIc/f for a very reasonable price, and if you don't like it, you can probably sell it for what you paid for it without problem. Film loading is quirky, but it's not a huge issue at all. I've kind of grown to like the separate RF/VF, and like the 1.5x magnification in the RF.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I vote for a used bessa: the reason being, I have a beautiful M3DS which is a joy to use. I would hate for it to get scratched, so I leave it at home.

David

I also use a Contax IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Leica IIIf relevant if one has an M3

I use an M2 and MP and love both but the day I held and used a IIIA I was surprised at how much the smaller size and overall feel was so much more comfortable to carry and use as a pocketable camera. Main downside is the more squinty viewfinder but the extra care for me often results in more careful images which is not so bad. I upgraded to a IIIf RD from Youxin last month and love it even more using it with an uncoated 35/3,5 Elmar.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    ^^^^^^ NO ^^^^^^^^^^ The CL shutters stink! The only camera to break my heart twice. Never again. Never.. leave it on the shelf.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Leica IIIf relevant if one has an M3

Why not just buy a collapsible Elmar and attach it to your M3 with an adapter? Sounds like a win-win to me based on your criteria.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi

The first problem with a Barnack i.e. a IIIg or earlier is you need to trim the film to the old leader standard, i.e. carry a small pair of scissors.
    Loading properly trimmed film is then easy unless you have two left hands ( I apologise for that as well.)
    They are like M2s you need to count the blank frames and set the counter manually.
    They only take screw lenses and the Elmar aperture adjustment is difficult.
    Best plan is buy a CV /2.5 5cm, if you are taking photos as opposed to stroking Leica gear.
    Setting the shutter speed requires a lift the dial and drop in place and is only at the datum point if the shutter is wound.
    Lastly if you snag the speed dial as the shutter fires the negative will be useless.

Noel

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've used both M series and a 111f. The M series is certainly more convenient to load and shoot. A 111f or 111c in good condition with a collapsible lens like the Elmar or perhaps Summicron is a good choice where compactness is most important. One must either trim the film leader or insert a business card in the film slot and load the film behind the card. I found the other differences between the new and older Leicas to be minor obstacles.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin