Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,193   Online: 1105

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lots of thoughts here. I'll just say this, and it's nothing but how I personally feel: Oftentimes ease of use does not equate to the better results. In fact sometimes it makes things worse by making it too easy to take snaps, rather than more thought-out photographs...
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    I've used both M series and a 111f. The M series is certainly more convenient to load and shoot. A 111f or 111c in good condition with a collapsible lens like the Elmar or perhaps Summicron is a good choice where compactness is most important. One must either trim the film leader or insert a business card in the film slot and load the film behind the card. I found the other differences between the new and older Leicas to be minor obstacles.
    If you use a card and make a mistake you may destroy the shutter

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Lots of thoughts here. I'll just say this, and it's nothing but how I personally feel: Oftentimes ease of use does not equate to the better results. In fact sometimes it makes things worse by making it too easy to take snaps, rather than more thought-out photographs...
    I have some comments on some other posts but I agree.

i use mechanical manual cameras pretty much exclusively. I find that whenever I use an automated film or digital camera, clicking the shutter is too easy and I think less which equates to crummier results. OK the barnack is not an automated or digital camera but I just wanted to assert my agreement with this statement.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    If you use a card and make a mistake you may destroy the shutter
    I have both a IIIa and a IIIF. I don't use a card. Even if you don't trim the leader it isn't too hard to load, just takes a bit longer. I use a Summaron 35mm/3.5 on my LTM's it is really compact.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    ^^^^^^ NO ^^^^^^^^^^ The CL shutters stink! The only camera to break my heart twice. Never again. Never.. leave it on the shelf.
    Sorry to hear you've had problems with the CL shutter. I've had my Leitz Minolta CL for over 15 years and use it fairly often and have never had a problem with it. I also like the way the strap fits on one end of the camera, so it's easy to slide it in a breast pocket and quickly pull it out to use. I've had 2 M3s, and an M2 and sold them cause I didn't enjoy using them that much. (go figure, right?) Beautiful cameras and lenses though. But I still have a prewar model III and a postwar model IIIc that I love very much. I just like the feel of them, and enjoy the results I get with the 50mm Summar lens I use the most. The pictures have glow and softness about them that I'm really fond of. (probably due to the lenses condition as much as anything else) Yeah, the film loading takes some getting used to, and the veiwfinders and rangefinders are kinda small but like one post said, easier doesn't always mean better. I guess like most things, we find the stuff that we like the best is because it fits our particular needs best.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The CL was great, but fool me once; fine, twice; shame, never a third chance with those things. I had a "top guy" service it and it still caused me issues on a cold day.

I do have to ask why Leica's need so much servicing, and if a 20 or 30 year old lens has "haze that does not effect the image" why Leitz didn't make them hazy to begin with, and why do LTM Russian lenses not have Haze after 40 years? I understand the flint glass issues, the haze is silly, LTM Canons don't get all misty.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Leica IIIf relevant if one has an M3

Hmmm, I'm another lucky CL owner. Had it for 7+ years with no issues. Sherry did a CLA for me after I got it used just to make sure all was in spec, never an issue since. Have been using my IIIf and M2 much more lately though. Maybe I'll sell it soon. vpwphoto, want to try a third time? ;-)
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi

A damaged shutter in the middle of no where is no fun.

But before '71 all the commercial cassette loads had the full length leader and there was never a problem, the film just drops in every time.

Noel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You don't need to trim the leader, and don't need to use a card to load a Barnack Leica. I just take the lens off and set the shutter to 'T', load the film and check that it has engaged the sprockets by looking through the shutter. While sticking a finger in to 'adjust' the film should be done with care you can only trip the shutter curtain if you actually turn the slow speed dial away from 'T', so its not likely. The big advantage is that it is a 100% certain way to get it right and avoid sprocket holes appearing in the pictures.

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    One thing that is important and was only mentioned once above (but I feel needs restatement) is the shutter adjust on the III -- I'm not sure if you can do it without cocking the shutter first. I don't know if that's just because it doesn't really line up with anything, or whether it can damage the shutter mechanism (I recall reading that somewhere, don't know if it's true). That and the film leader crap is really what bothers me most about my IIIc, but I still love using it and it's taken some great pictures of mine. They're great fun if you're willing to put up with a bit of prissy nature, like dating a fun and beautiful but high-maintenance girl.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin